dog attack update

Flowerfairy

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
Last Saturday night my hen was attacked by a husky. She’s been doing a lot better even though the wounds still look rough. I guess it’s been six days almost a week.
I’ve been doing the basic protocol. Cleaning the wound everyday applying Neosporin and other spray antibiotics.
Yesterday she was looking fine and then today I saw that she was pecking at her wound!
Just yesterday I allowed her back outside to look at the other hens from a cage just to separate them.
Today when I checked on her in the outside cage I noticed she looked a bit bloody.

I guess I just want input on what I should do if I’m doing anything wrong. Maybe this is just how it goes?

Here’s pictures of the right side of her body from Tuesday, yesterday, and today.

She’s been acting normal, eating drinking. Regular poops. Acting sassy…
She whimpers when I apply first aid. Anyway.
I put a saddle on her after I saw she was pecking herself so I’m hoping it will work

Attachments

• 97E3FED2-CF75-4CDD-ACAD-466DAB1AC256.jpeg
    97E3FED2-CF75-4CDD-ACAD-466DAB1AC256.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 7261C6AF-ABDC-4B52-943D-47A5854BEA3A.jpeg
    7261C6AF-ABDC-4B52-943D-47A5854BEA3A.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 9E8B9199-2D8C-4195-A232-E8AF41679831.jpeg
    9E8B9199-2D8C-4195-A232-E8AF41679831.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 17
  • E44C46BB-7935-40C2-A850-1B5F1F1B9CC0.jpeg
    E44C46BB-7935-40C2-A850-1B5F1F1B9CC0.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 18
Which photo is more recent? This type of wound heals surprisingly well. But your hen also has quite a bit of bruising and discoloration, poor thing is probably in a lot of pain.

I have treated two recent hens that a dog attacked. I put on violet antiseptic only once on the first day, and kept the wound clean and dry everyday after that. If there is moisture like blood or pus inside, i applied coconut oil to keep it from getting infected. Otherwise keeping it dry was best for me.

The wound heals from the inside out. Dont pick at it because it can tear the skin more and bleed or slow down the healing. You probably cant do wrong with how you treat it, other than letting it get infected.

She is in for a tough and slow few months thats for sure. Is she in a place she can just sit near her food and water all day and be left alone? Mine sleeps in a seperate box and totally changed her daily routine, but slowly is coming back to her old self.

Here is how my hens looked when healing dry with no ointments. This photo was taken weeks after the initial violet treatment. I maybe put coconut oil once or twice in the first week or two, but after that nothing. I didnt have anbiotic ointments to use. But i did use oral antibiotics for a couple days at first in one case.

I also treated a second hen with deep wounds, and did nothing because she walked and ate fine. It healed on its own with no help from me.
Screenshot_20211126-203006_Gallery.jpg

The saddle may help prevent her from picking at it and stay cleaner too.

Which photo is today's just to be sure?

Keeping the wound moist with ointment can help too. I had a hen that had a wound and she picked at it if I didn't keep ointment on, it must have been itchy.
the most recent photo is the one right before the picture of her in the saddle. The healing progression went backwards since she pecked at it. The first two photos are older.

the most recent photo is the one right before the picture of her in the saddle. The healing progression went backwards since she pecked at it. The first two photos are older.
Hopefully the saddle will help. I would check it daily like you have been doing.
If it needs cleaning, then I would use Chlorhexidine, then re-apply your ointment.

Last Saturday night my hen was attacked by a husky. She’s been doing a lot better even though the wounds still look rough. I guess it’s been six days almost a week.
I’ve been doing the basic protocol. Cleaning the wound everyday applying Neosporin and other spray antibiotics.
Yesterday she was looking fine and then today I saw that she was pecking at her wound!
Just yesterday I allowed her back outside to look at the other hens from a cage just to separate them.
Today when I checked on her in the outside cage I noticed she looked a bit bloody.

I guess I just want input on what I should do if I’m doing anything wrong. Maybe this is just how it goes?

Here’s pictures of the right side of her body from Tuesday, yesterday, and today.

She’s been acting normal, eating drinking. Regular poops. Acting sassy…
She whimpers when I apply first aid. Anyway.
I put a saddle on her after I saw she was pecking herself so I’m hoping it will work
If you get Rescue Remedy Stress Relief (you can get it on amazon) and once a day put one drop on her back and rub it in. It will help with the stress.

Back
Top Bottom