Dog attack

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Brandon2234, May 7, 2016.

1. Brandon2234

Brandon2234 New Egg

May 7, 2016
    Ok so I have some baby chicks and 2 got out. One of the chicks neck is ripped and you can see the meat and the other one is just tired and sleeping but no wounds. What should I do?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC....so sorry you are joining under these circumstances.
    How old are the chicks in question? Can you take (and post) photos of the injuries on the first chick - being able to see the wounds is key in advising how to treat them. Regarding the second chick, even without visible external injuries, there can be serious internal damage - was the chick wet/feathers show sign of having been wet which would indicate being mouthed by the dog?
    The first thing to do with this sort of situation is to provide treatment for shock - meaning a quiet, calm place (ie box) that is away from the other birds where you can provide warmth, nutrition, hydration and closely monitor the bird. Any visible wounds should be cleansed and then assessed and treated accordingly (which goes back to seeing the wound). Another advantage to the isolation (aside from preventing further damage from picking by other birds at the wounds or weakened chick(s) ) is that you can tell how much food/water the bird(s) is taking in and also monitor the output of waste, both of which are key indicators for overall well-being.

1 person likes this.
  3. Brandon2234

Brandon2234 New Egg

May 7, 2016
    Yes they were both wet. [​IMG]

4. Brandon2234

Brandon2234 New Egg

May 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here's the chick with the open wound

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OlGreyMare has given you great information. Please do update to let us know how things are going..

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by