Dog attack

MidnightMaran

Songster
Jun 23, 2017
Oklahoma
So, Yesterday we lost two members of our 3-hen flock.
We were on vacation and got two responsible school aged boys who wanted to make a little extra pocket money for watching our pets for a few days. They let the chickens out every morning before school, feed and water them, and lock them in their coop after school. They free range in our safe, fenced in backyard that apparently is not as secure as we thought.
There are two dogs that live down the street that I have encountered on my morning jog several times, and have known them to be aggressive with not-so-responsible owners. Somehow they got into our backyard and killed our two buff Orpingtons, and were about to go after the last one in the coop when the boys that were taking care of them arrived and chased them off. We do not know the dogs’ owners, or even know where they live, as their dogs freely roam the neighborhood and I have never seen them go into any home. Anyway, the boys were terrified that we would be upset with them, but they did all that they could and it’s not their fault. They saved the life of our remaining hen, and we are sorry they had to take care of such a horrible situation. I am now going to be very protective of our remaining chicken, and will not let her free range unsupervised ever again, and I know think that it wasn’t such a good idea in the first place.
I’ve just been crying like a baby over our poor little chickens, and it’s embarrassing how much I love them. Rest In Peace, Charlotte and Golden LaBuff.
We are now wondering if we should get a friend for our one lonely chicken, or if the stress of a new flock member or members would be too much for her after such a traumatic event. Should I wait and for how long, or am I treating a chicken too much like a person? Advice would be appreciated here. The loss of our girls is a terrible thing, and I don’t know exactly what to do with our sad, one chicken flock. A6802623-6824-4DEE-9F4B-C663D1172EEE.jpeg
Golden: left Charlotte: right

Thanks for the advice, Luna will be getting a friend or two sometime soon. I have been looking at the perimeter of my yard, and it seems those horrible dogs broke something that I can't find yet, or they jumped our 10 foot fence. What's surprising is that they aren't very big, and I can't see them jumping that fence.

There is a gap or hole somewhere big enough for them to get in.

Ranging the yard is great until it is not. :(

Hawks, fox, possum, and raccoons can decimate a small flock in short order.

I can only recommend keeping the birds contained unless someone can be in the yard with them.

Yes I would bring in a couple new friends for the remaining hen.

There is a gap or hole somewhere big enough for them to get in.

Ranging the yard is great until it is not. :(

Hawks, fox, possum, and raccoons can decimate a small flock in short order.

I can only recommend keeping the birds contained unless someone can be in the yard with them.

Yes I would bring in a couple new friends for the remaining hen.
I agree with you. We have not had any other predators except a few coyotes in the summer, but they're too afraid to come anywhere close to the house in daylight, and we have locked in our girls before they get anywhere close at night. Our guard dog came home from the dog boarding center today, and I know she intimidates those two dogs. I know that she would protect the chickens with her life if she had to, but I still don't feel comfortable leaving her and Luna out there by themselves. From now on she will only be let out with human supervision.

Back
Top Bottom