dog attack

melissa41927

Songster
14 Years
Oct 8, 2009
northeast corner al
i let the chickens, ducks, and guineas out today to graze because we had some beautiful weather. a few hours later i hear noise outside. the neighbors coon hound was chasing my chickens. i shot up in the air and scared it off. i went to pick up my daughter from school, and my mother called to tell me the dog was after my chickens. i hurried home, and grabbed the shotgun. i went out and the dog was gone again. i have told my neighbor to keep his dog tied, i have even helped him catch the dog 4 or 5 times. i went to talk to him again. he said the dog had slipped his collar and pushed over 2 of his cages and killed his game roosters. he had been trying to catch him all day. we went back to my house and the dog came back. he runs away anytime he sees a gun. so i got to thinking. i have a good loving pit bull that usually keeps him out of the yard. i had him put up at the time because he likes to chase the guineas when they fly out of the coop. i couldn't shoot the hound dog so i let out "bullet". well needless to say "bullet" and my 9 year old lab mix "muddy" jumped the dog and held him down till the owner could get hold of him. they chewed the hound up pretty good maybe he won't come back but he probably will, and i will have to shoot him. "bullet" had now earned a place in our home as a protector of my property.

YAYYYYYY bullet!!!!
lol.png

Can't you just take the dog to a shelter if it comes back? Or file a report with animal control? Where I am, a dogs owner can be cited by animal control, and the third citation results in the dog being confiscated by animal control. (And fines) I would file a report about what happened today. (1st strike on the record)

can't take it to a shelter. all the ones around here are full up. and the only way i can catch it is for my dogs to hold it down. the local sheriff's office won't do anything about it. i had a dog shot in my yard about 6 years ago, and their reply to my report was "are you sure you want to stir up trouble with your neighbors". i live way off it the boonies and our road only gets patrolled maybe once a month. i can call and call because of people driving down it going 70+mph, i have young children and that's dangerous, and they never increased patrols. the only time people would slow down is when i still had my 3 pygmy goat running free.

I hate bad dog owners. If he can't keep it in his yard, he should rehome it or shoot it himself. It's a shame that he is putting you in a position that you may have to shoot it.

that would be great if my dogs were big enough to to that 4 lbs and 14lbs
my neighbor dogs attack other dogs so my dogs aren't outside much
only 2 neighbor dogs out of the eight or nine this spring between me and the other neighbors we almost got em before the lady finally decided to keep them in the kennel have not seen them seance early October

From a legal standpoint, in most states it is completely legal to shoot an animal chasing or harassing your livestock. I see you are in Alabama- so double check it, but I doubt you have a legal issue. As far as calling the police to clean up the mess- don't. Once it is over, it is over, let sleeping dogs lie, as it where.

I can't believe that because there is no room at the shelter that animal control would not pick up a dangerous dog. That's terrible. Out where I am if I call cause a dog is hurting an animal or chewing on my leg, they don't hand me a line like that. Sounds like you got some lazy local officials. I wouldn't put up with that. Squeaky wheel gets the most oil you know.

Back
Top Bottom