Dog attack

I had one hen and one young rooster viciously attacked by another adult rooster. It doesn't sound as bad as a dog attack but this rooster wanted to kill them. The hen was wounded on the back of her neck and breast. The rooster was wounded on his back. They looked very ill, the rooster ( Stanley) wouldn't eat and the hen (Lady Gaga) wouldn't drink. It sounds bad but I ended up having to force feed Stanley and force Lady Gaga to drink as they were looking very weak. In both of their water I put half a paracetamol. This was adviced to me by someone on this very website. I also added honey to the water. I bandaged up the wounds, keeping them tight but not too tight!! And changed the bandage every day. Eventually they became much better and I returned them to the flock!
If you do all of this hopefully your little two will be happy and healthy again!
Fingers crossed they will be okay
D.gif
Goodluck!!

Thank you chickenlove6 for the advice :), I'm not to sure how my rooster (key) is coping his wing is healing well but I found another wound around his chest area similar to the hen (cream puff) although very large, I treated the area and hoped for the best, every 2 hours I hand feed him, clean his pen and insure he drinks plus check the wounds, this morning I have noticed his chest wound has gone green and is smelling of rot, I have cleaned it as best as I can but am unsure of the antibiotics I can use or preferably herbal remedies. Please help??

That sounds like he has an infection, I would say go to the vet but they are sometimes either too expensive or don't have the qualifications for treating chickens. Give him a very long warm bath. Even though it's not a very nice job to do but try to clean his wound as best you can, I am sorry for the late reply but I was on holiday!
I don't know what else to tell you in advice, but I really really hope he gets better, good luck!!!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks heaps for the advice, I went on holiday too and asked mum to look after key while I was away I came back to a half starved chook, she had forgot to check on him and feed him so I have spent the last 2 days spoiling him, key has got some of his energy back and we put him with the flock for an hour supervised so he doesnt become lonely , so far so good his wind looks much better and his wing is nearly fully healed, I'm glad we still have him but I know we aren't out of the woods yet

It sounds like he has gangrene. I'd say cut out the infected part but it is too risky there. you can try to put some bacitracin or isopropyl alcohol on it and bandage it but chances are he won't surive it. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom