Dog attacked chicken!!

Does she have any wounds? She may be in shock so keeping her quiet, warm, isolated is most important. If she does have any open wounds I suggest taking some pictures and posting them here asap. I hope she recovers.

She seems worse today. I checked her for open wounds several times. I think she was shaken, but the dog who was recovering from his desexing had a cone on his head, so I think that may have saved her initially. She has been kept quiet and warm. Have been giving her water. My son is beside himself. She brings up so much joy. So sad!

Not attempting to eat at all. Can't even stand properly today. I had to prop her up in a comfy spot. I gave her some egg yolk and water a few times so far which she swallowed, but it wasn't much. She did one small watery poo after, which is the first since the incident happened.

Eagle passed away this morning
1f629.png
1f622.png

Eagle passed away this morning
1f629.png
1f622.png
I am so very sorry for your loss of Eagle... I have a girl right now recovering from a dog attack... she is a fighter though she was drinking within the hour and was eating last night (later that night after the attack) and she is eating and drinking today... she stands but doens't move around much.... She gets her own little dog cage where it is quiet and dark she is slowly getting better it seems. I feel if she makes it through the next 2 or 3 days she will make it.... There were two other hens that I had to put out of their misery... one had all of the skin and its neck tendons ripped off/out, and the other had intestines hanging out all over, she was the only other one the dog got... he almost got the rooster, he ripped out all of the roosters tail feathers, but I think the tail feathers are what saved him because the dog couldn't get a hold on him because the feathers just ripped out.

Last edited:
Wow! Poor dears! DH used to have a dog. She got loose twice and got my chickens. Each time killing a few. The 2nd time killing some of my neighbor's chickens as well. They didn't sue me thank goodness. I gave them some of my hens to compensate their losses. It's still very heartbreaking. As far as the wounds go on yours @stormyhorses98 are you putting antibiotic on it? My other bit of advice would be watch it carefully to make sure bugs don't get in it.

Sorry for all the other losses.

Wow! Poor dears! DH used to have a dog. She got loose twice and got my chickens. Each time killing a few. The 2nd time killing some of my neighbor's chickens as well. They didn't sue me thank goodness. I gave them some of my hens to compensate their losses. It's still very heartbreaking. As far as the wounds go on yours @stormyhorses98 are you putting antibiotic on it? My other bit of advice would be watch it carefully to make sure bugs don't get in it.

@Outpost JWB She is on an oral antibiotic along with Vetrycin spray 3 times a day. All her wounds have scabbed over nicely... she is still eating and drinking great. She is inside the house for now so bugs aren't much of a problem. She is alive and doing VERY well considering but I wouldn't say we are completly out of the woods yet but we can see light shining through the trees.

The best method is aversion training with an electronic collar. No yu don't have to shock them real hard if yu do the training correctly. Anyone who wants to learn how to use the collar correctly without hurting your dog Email me at [email protected].

Wow! Poor dears! DH used to have a dog. She got loose twice and got my chickens. Each time killing a few. The 2nd time killing some of my neighbor's chickens as well. They didn't sue me thank goodness. I gave them some of my hens to compensate their losses. It's still very heartbreaking. As far as the wounds go on yours [@=/u/442088/stormyhorses98]@stormyhorses98[/@] are you putting antibiotic on it? My other bit of advice would be watch it carefully to make sure bugs don't get in it.

@Outpost JWB
 She is on an oral antibiotic along with Vetrycin spray 3 times a day. All her wounds have scabbed over nicely... she is still eating and drinking great. She is inside the house for now so bugs aren't much of a problem. She is alive and doing VERY well considering but I wouldn't say we are completly out of the woods yet but we can see light shining through the trees. 

That is wonderful. Chickens are more resilient than we would think. That's awesome the wounds are stabbed over.

Back
Top Bottom