Dog attacked chicken!!

@Outpost JWB Yes they certainly are.... sadly the other two hens I had to put out of their misery were not saveable... one had all the skin on her neck missing and the tendons and everything on her neck ripped and hanging, and the other girl had her whole chest/stomach ripped open with her intestines hanging out. I just made it as quick as possible, but at least I know they are not suffering and that I did what I could for them.

[B@stormyhorses98[/B]. That is never easy on us, but we are responsible for taking care of these creatures and sometimes there are tough choices to be made. You did the right thing.

I just noticed you are new to Backyard Chickens, so:

:welcome

This website has been a great resource for me and thousands of others. Be sure and check out the Learning Center (on the tool bar above) as well:D. Have a great day.

@stormyhorse98 how did you end up, putting them out of their misery? (If it's not too personal to ask)

My only remaining hen got attacked by our new rescue dog. I hope she's going to be OK. No visible injuries but she's not doing well.

@stormyhorse98 how did you end up, putting them out of their misery? (If it's not too personal to ask)

My only remaining hen got attacked by our new rescue dog. I hope she's going to be OK. No visible injuries but she's not doing well.
@ItsAllDaisies
It's not to personal, I just make it as quick as I can... I use the same knife as I use when we butcher for meat and just hold their head still set the knife near their neck and move it so the feathers are out of the way and then quickly just cut their heads off, another thing I would use is one of the hatches or ax's that we have... I just want a really quick death for them, no reason to pro-long the suffering. On the bright side the injured hen has been outside now for about two weeks! I will post pictures later when I can, but I think in another week or two she will be able to go back with the main flock.

Dogs attack at night. It was a little late when all of a sudden there is frantic banging on our door and the doorbell is going off. The neighbor informs us her dogs are in my coop.

I know I locked everyone up and locked the gates and doors.

I go running out the back door to be greeted by the most god awful sounds.

When I arrived at the chicken run, there were bodies littering the ground. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. She gets her dogs out and I start assessing the damage and gathering the live chickens. We found 7 dead, 5 seriously injured, 2 with minor injuries and the rooster was missing.

I treated the injuries with real natural local honey. I was able to see the bones on one of the girls' back and the skin on all of them was removed, exposing muscle. The honey is a natural barrier and antibiotic that my vet uses.

I separated the seriously injured girls and fermented some baby chick feed and made sure they had plenty of water close by. The smallest was put in with the babies and the adults were put into a separate run. This morning 2 of them were perching, one was in the nesting box and the others were still on the ground.

Dogs attack at night. It was a little late when all of a sudden there is frantic banging on our door and the doorbell is going off. The neighbor informs us her dogs are in my coop.

I know I locked everyone up and locked the gates and doors.

I go running out the back door to be greeted by the most god awful sounds.

When I arrived at the chicken run, there were bodies littering the ground. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. She gets her dogs out and I start assessing the damage and gathering the live chickens. We found 7 dead, 5 seriously injured, 2 with minor injuries and the rooster was missing.

I treated the injuries with real natural local honey. I was able to see the bones on one of the girls' back and the skin on all of them was removed, exposing muscle. The honey is a natural barrier and antibiotic that my vet uses. 

I separated the seriously injured girls and fermented some baby chick feed and made sure they had plenty of water close by. The smallest was put in with the babies and the adults were put into a separate run. This morning 2 of them were perching, one was in the nesting box and the others were still on the ground.

Oh dear.im so sorry.welcome to BYC.

You did the right thing.when my girl was attacked by a dog, I put something called bagged balm on it.she healed fine and is still a happy and alive hen.i hope all goes well, :hugs

So sorry for that. I would be afraid to use Honey on chickens as i have a lot of ants in my yard. Don't want ants swarming my chickens. Do you have a problem there?

Okay I was just reading through this forum, so sorry for all of your losses
2764.png
. I have had 3 of my chickens die in the past 2 years since I had them. 1 died right after it hatched, one got taken by a coyote about a years later, and a few months ago 3 month old Pepper got very sick and passed away. My chickens are like my pets. They have names, they have personally done sweet things that clarify them, and they come when they are called and lay in my lap and eat from my hands. On Saturday morning. (2 days ago) my sweet hen Hazel got attacked by a dog. Not my dog (he loves the chickens lol!!) a dog who ran away but had a collar on. She was attacked by the butt. Nowhere near her head and neck (WHEW!!) she has a few scales missing on one of her legs but she dosent act like it bothering her.
I put her in a kennel in my room. I put blankets over there to keep it warm and dark to prevent her from shock. I put paper towels down with some water and food and a box. I put shavings in the box for a cozy spot. For a few hours she just stood there, not moving or talking. We sprayed vetricyn spray on her every morning. She began to talk and walk around later that day. When we woke up in the morning she was walking normally and talking a lot:) YAY!!! She is drinking GREAT!!! And eating some food aswell. When she is thirsty, she's good at getting up and drinking:) we continued spraying vetricyn on her WICH she doesn't like but it helps. She is pooping good, but every time she acts like it hurts and fluffs out her remaining feathers. I think she had a tear at her vent
1f62c.png
but she is pooping. She is trying to push out some egg and there is poop all over her egg ouch feathers. I would take a warm wet cloth and wipe it off but I'm afraid that would hurt her a lot:( she is begging to pick at the wound (ITS HEALING YAY) but she's making it bleed again. I think it's healed enough to put blue kote on it. Should I order a chicken saddle for her? I have no roosters but it might help protect it from pecking and infection. I'm still spraying vetricyn on it probably until it's really healed and then I will put feather regrower on it after a few weeks if she makes it. This morning in I went to chiefly on her and she is getting stronger :) she lays down and rests when she want to but is also active with bright wide eyes:) is there anything else I can do to keep her or other chickens from pecking at it? And she has been in my room for about 3 days and 2 nights. I don't think she's ready to go back outside with the others yet. One of them is broody and I don't want her to hurt Hazel. Do you think it would be okay to wait another night and keep her in her kennel? I've been introducing her to light and she likes it. She is getting stronger though. And she is getting bored too. What can I give her to keep her distracting while she's not sleeping? It will also help to keep her distracte from her wound. Thanks so much for the help in advanced!!!!

One of my Old English girls, her name is hendini because of her escape talents, got out while I was feeding her and Mary Poopins. My visiting sons dog chased her. I'm not sure he got her, she has no visible wounds and she wasn't slobbery. But he chased on a rock pile. She leans to one side and pants. She is not walking but did drink and eat a little. She's back in the Chickie Cabana with her sister. Anything else I should do?

CAN ANYONE HELP??? it's my first time on this site.
A pit bull got into my yard and attacked my 1 yr old chicken, Bronte. all her lacerations healed up except the ones with broken bone coming out. She is eating and active but I need these wounds to heal. I do not have the fund for a vet and have been doing at home care for her myself.
Do you know of anyone who can help me get help for her? She deserves her fighting chance...

Back
Top Bottom