Dog attacked hen

My 2 cents worth, our flock had a or we think dog attack. We lost 1 hen and one with vent damage and lots of rear end feathers tore out. There was a lot of bruising on the legs and what appeared to be damage to the preening gland. She and the whole flock seemed to be in shock for several days and are still spooked at sounds and some quick movements. Now for the good part of this ...she has healed physically very well and is laying eggs again. We soaked her in a warm to medium warm water Epsom salts bath daily for the first week she was difficult to catch but she is all the better for it. She is still leary of my getting to close and was not that way prio to the attack. Chickens are amazing at how fast they heal from what seems to be a deadly injury...I'm confident your girl will be just fine.

Good morning all.
She manages to do well overnight. I attempted to get some photos of her injuries but I had to do this holding her and holding the phone so I know they aren't the best. But maybe someone is familiar with the area.
I'm wondering if I should maybe cut away some feathers around the wound?
Also. She is still eating and drinking plenty. She tried to jump up on my leg and kind of fell so I think its hurting her leg and wing too maybe?
Also.. her poops are very normal but over night she only pooped twice. Not sure if that is normal.

Attachments

• 20201023_072905.jpg
    20201023_072905.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201023_072933.jpg
    20201023_072933.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201023_080338.jpg
    20201023_080338.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201023_081013.jpg
    20201023_081013.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201023_081032.jpg
    20201023_081032.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201023_081044.jpg
    20201023_081044.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201023_081116.jpg
    20201023_081116.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201023_081125.jpg
    20201023_081125.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 15
dog bites can look small but be deep, and they carry lots of nasty bacteria. I would advise antibiotics just in case. Did you wash the wound out?

It is usually recommended to trim the feathers around the wound so you can properly assess the injury, wash it out, and apply neosporin or other antibiotic ointment or honey into the wound. Cover with a dressing if necessary and practical. Check and reapply after 3 days. You can also give baby aspirin or ibuprofen for the pain. Check her regularly for signs of internal infection such as feeling hot, skin red and/or swollen around the wound, pus, etc.

Well shes been doing well all day. Eating drinking snuggling and all that. I found her roosting on my shower rod so I took her outside to get some fresh air. She actually ran right to her nest box. She flung bedding all around acting as if she wanted to lay an egg. But after about 10 minutes she got out and is eating her foods. So I'm giving her a few moments alone before I bring her back in to get cleaned up again and rest.
I wish i could take her to a vet.

I attempted to get some photos of her injuries but I had to do this holding her and holding the phone so I know they aren't the best. But maybe someone is familiar with the area.
I'm wondering if I should maybe cut away some feathers around the wound?
Also. She is still eating and drinking plenty. She tried to jump up on my leg and kind of fell so I think its hurting her leg and wing too maybe?
Also.. her poops are very normal but over night she only pooped twice.
Well shes been doing well all day. Eating drinking snuggling and all that. I found her roosting on my shower rod so I took her outside to get some fresh air. She actually ran right to her nest box. She flung bedding all around acting as if she wanted to lay an egg. But after about 10 minutes she got out and is eating her foods. So I'm giving her a few moments alone before I bring her back in to get cleaned up again and rest.
I noticed a poop that looked yellow. So I further examined her vent area and there was a soft empty egg shell hanging off her vent butt feathers.
So now I realize what I thought what horrid diarrhea is actually the egg yolk itself.
Is this an issue I need to be concerned about? Is there a risk of infection with an egg busting inside of her?
You can trim the feathers from around the wound if that will make it easier to treat her and apply ointment.
Sounds like she's doing pretty good if she's scratching around a little and roosting on the shower rod!

When you can get a photo of her poop. You don't see anymore discharge from the vent right?

I'm a newbie at chicken keeping but in our year and a half at it we have found that chickens are amazingly tough birds 🐦 and heal at an amazing rate. Keep her clean so the flies don't cause trouble and you will be surprised at how quickly she recovers. Please please please don't take this the wrong way as our flock wants for nothing they are well cared for and never miss treated BUT death and life threatening injuries will happen at the most unexpected times. We do not have a vet that will treat chickens and in all reality they are a $4.00 bird. We have lost our share of our FAVORITE birds and it hurts but it is part of keeping chickens. I/ we feel your pain however the awesome people here at BYC have the most knowledge and been through these situations before and their advice is priceless. They have helped us numerous times with complete success.

She never laid an egg which was odd because her behavior definitely showed she needed to lay one. But mind she has just begun laying also. Her vent seems clean but it isnt as moist as it usually is. My other two girls are pretty much ignoring her when she gets to be around them. Which they never did because she was the head of the pecking order.

Thank you guys so so much for all your help. They are just chickens.. but man I grew attached to them very quickly.

She never laid an egg which was odd because her behavior definitely showed she needed to lay one. But mind she has just begun laying also. Her vent seems clean but it isnt as moist as it usually is. My other two girls are pretty much ignoring her when she gets to be around them. Which they never did because she was the head of the pecking order.

Thank you guys so so much for all your help. They are just chickens.. but man I grew attached to them very quickly.
Give her a little time she's had some trauma and that can interrupt the laying cycle.
Moving about, alert, eating/drinking are good signs.
Are her wounds healing up? No odors or pus?

It's hard to see the extent of the damage in the photos - I think you can judge that pretty well.
Personally, I would take her outside to be with the others, at least for monitored periods of time. White Leghorns are active birds and will do much better with healing if they are able to move about some. I know mine was like that.

Luckily we just got a nice cold front so the flies are gone for the time being. I'm in Texas and were at about 60 degrees this morning so shes outside. I made then a nice veggie mixture to go with their regular feed and they all pigged out and shes fluffed on her favorite roost bar.
Her wound looks ok. I've trimmed feathers only enough to get on there real good myself. (The look on her face while she watched me do this!)
And I'm keeping a thin layer of this silver type germ shield I have. I cant think of the name atm but it protects against almost everything.
No pus. No smell (except the fact we realize miss thang is already a stinky bird and will get a bath eventually)

My concern is going to focus in infection from the soft busted egg episode. But from what I gather if she was suffering internally she would not be eating the way she is.

When I bring her inside and can get an extra set of hands I'll attempt better photos of her wound.

Back
Top Bottom