Dog attacked my chicken!!

chicksTohens

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2016
My chicken Mary was attacked by a dog, and has open wounds. I don't know what to give her or put on the open wounds. Help please!?

This is a picture of one of her wounds.

Last edited:
My chicken Mary was attacked by a dog, and has open wounds. I don't know what to give her or put on the open wounds. Help please!?

This is a picture of one of her wounds.
Sorry to hear that. There's a couple of things you can apply. One is Blu Kote which seals the wound and prevents pecking since chickens like to peck anything red. I ordered Blu Kote from a poultry supply place but you might be able to find it at your local feed store. You can also use Hen Healer which most feed stores or TSC carry. It's an ointment that you apply directly. You can also apply neosporin which should help.

Chickens are pretty resilient so I'm hoping she does ok.

Quote: X2

Clean the wound and apply any of the above treatment(s).

You may want to isolate her for few days depenidng on her condition. Chickens can go into shock after an attack. Keep her warm and make sure she is hydrated well and is eating before you place her back with the flock. If she is lethargic, add some electrolytes or poultry vitamins to her water and offer some chopped egg or tuna.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom