Dog attacked my duck!!! Need advice!!

bellah1

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
Western Washington
My husband's cousin came over with her dog and he attacked my duck (the same duck i just unbandaged for angel wing). He's missing a decent amount of feathers on his back and has three shallow wounds on him where the feathers are gone. My husband and I are vet assistants so i used what we use on dogs and cats (chlorhexidine gluconate a antiseptic/antimicrobial skin cleanser) to clean the wounds and then put a 3-way ointment on the areas, they both are used to prevent infection which is what im most worried about. is this ok? or does anyone know of something i should be using or doing that is better for ducks? im worried. PLEASE HELP!!!

My husband's cousin came over with her dog and he attacked my duck (the same duck i just unbandaged for angel wing). He's missing a decent amount of feathers on his back and has three shallow wounds on him where the feathers are gone. My husband and I are vet assistants so i used what we use on dogs and cats (chlorhexidine gluconate a antiseptic/antimicrobial skin cleanser) to clean the wounds and then put a 3-way ointment on the areas, they both are used to prevent infection which is what im most worried about. is this ok? or does anyone know of something i should be using or doing that is better for ducks? im worried. PLEASE HELP!!!
Sounds like you have it covered well, just make sure what you use doesn't have pain relief ending in caine. If his wounds are not deep he'll most likely heal quickly. Ducks are amazing that way, poor duckie though to just get over angel wing and have this happen. So sorry. Just keep him quiet for a couple days and he should be good as new, Hope the next time your dh cousin leaves her dog at home.

When our duck was punctured from a dog attack, I kept her inside in a dog crate until her wounds healed a bit. We used the blue wash that vets use for surgical wounds and did that once or twice daily. Finally, I gave her some electrolyte powder or a splash of Gatorade in her water in order to help her fight off the stress response.

Finally; I had heard horror stories of ducks being attackd and healing up just fine, they sure are a resilient species! Your duck is extra special lucky to have vet tech owners!

Good luck!

My beagle attacked my drake, but at the same time, the drake was aggrivating the beagle. It was my own negligence that I didn't keep them separated, as I was hoping every one should live in harmony, so on and so forth, but I'm not blaming you at all! Any way the attack turned into a broken hock, so I took my duck to my vet, who worked wonders on healing him. They gave me an antiseptic spray that I used on the wounds until he was completely healed and I gave him a series of antibiotics in the breast for four days. I keep him in a crate in my bathroom for 4 weeks. He's doing just fine a year later now and his leg healed wonderfully. Hope yours is okay, sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Thanks everybody for all your replies, its given me a sigh of relief. we r used to dealing with dogs, cats, snakes, lizards, ect, ect. its literally a zoo at are house. We have two big dogs and they get along with the ducks great so far but we still keep an eye on them and theres a gate that keeps the dogs seperated from the ducks when they are outside and we aren't, not thinking that my hubbys cousin's dog(a tiny yorkie) could slip right through the slates of the gate! anyway hes doing great, all the redness and minor swelling is gone already! I just started keeping ducks (besides when we had them on my grandfathers farm as a kid) so its some what new to me and im so happy i found this site! not only for the advice but u all understand my duck obsession! Thanks again everybody!

So glad to hear that your duck is improving!

As a side thought, we used antibiotics on ours as well and I thought I should mention if you are treating with antibiotics then DONT eat any eggs they produce during that time. I think we threw eggs out for at least a week after her last dose of antibiotics. I dont remember dosage calc as its been two years but we just bought tetracyclene at Tractor Supply and my emergency vet was able to help me break it down and get her the right dose for her weight.

Keep us updated on the progress! I love to hear the happy ending, since we love prey animals sometimes its the bad ones we hear too much of.
hugs.gif

Thanks everybody for all your replies, its given me a sigh of relief. we r used to dealing with dogs, cats, snakes, lizards, ect, ect. its literally a zoo at are house. We have two big dogs and they get along with the ducks great so far but we still keep an eye on them and theres a gate that keeps the dogs seperated from the ducks when they are outside and we aren't, not thinking that my hubbys cousin's dog(a tiny yorkie) could slip right through the slates of the gate! anyway hes doing great, all the redness and minor swelling is gone already! I just started keeping ducks (besides when we had them on my grandfathers farm as a kid) so its some what new to me and im so happy i found this site! not only for the advice but u all understand my duck obsession! Thanks again everybody!
Great news!!! I mentioned the dog because we have friend that had a Jack Russel terrier. I kept him for them when they would go on vacation etc. he had been around my ducks/chickens for close to 2 years, then one day they came over and this dog grabbed one of my young chickens and killed it instantly[ thank goodness] we were all shocked. Lesson learned never let your guard down for a second. I am happy to hear your duck is on the mend.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom