Dog Attacked my hen...nursing help please!

JeanieCoop

Chirping
9 Years
10 Years
Apr 22, 2014
San Joaquin Valley
IMG_1300.jpg IMG_1302.JPG
My 5 year old hen was attacked by a dog Thursday morning (July 18th). I thought she was okay after the attack as she was walking, eating, and drinking. This afternoon I examined her more closely. The photo shows puncture wounds with skin torn away. Muscle is exposed. She is now inside away from flies. I treated her with a saline wound wash solution and hydrogen peroxide. She is still eating, drinking, and pooping. She laid an egg late this afternoon. Can anyone give me further recommendations on how to care for her? What serious signs I should watch out for? Of course I am concerned about gangrenous infections...I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

Stop the saline. For a few days, I would use betadine or chlorhexidene to help disinfect the wound. After that apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. If there are no signs of infection, you may go back to the saline, or use Vetericyn Wound Spray, but continue the ointment. Do not use peroxide, since it can prevent wound healing. The first use was okay. Since you didn’t notice the wounds for 24 hours, make sure there are no maggot larvae from flies in the wound. These wounds can heal very well with treatment, as long as there are no internal injuries. You may see some green in and around the wound, and that is usually bruising.

Stop the saline. For a few days, I would use betadine or chlorhexidene to help disinfect the wound. After that apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. If there are no signs of infection, you may go back to the saline, or use Vetericyn Wound Spray, but continue the ointment. Do not use peroxide, since it can prevent wound healing. The first use was okay. Since you didn’t notice the wounds for 24 hours, make sure there are no maggot larvae from flies in the wound. These wounds can heal very well with treatment, as long as there are no internal injuries. You may see some green in and around the wound, and that is usually bruising.
Thank you so much...I will follow your recommendations. Thank you for letting me know about the peroxide, I just finished reading some other posts and found the same comments.
Also, do you think a gentle bathing would be in order?

First of all, I'd mangle the dog and pulverize it to pieces. I was going to suggest Neosporin to.
My friends have said the same thing...First I have to double check my zoning ordinance as I am in an urban county island, before I make a formal complaint. It's the 3rd time this dog has attacked us. At least I got my two page letter sent to her!

I would just clean the wound, and not give a bath. Where exactly is the wound? Betadine is available at Walmart in the bandaid and first aid aisle—look for Equate First Aid Antiseptic for $6. Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) is also there, and it mixes with a little water.
Thank you again. I have Hibiclens - should I wait until the morning or go for it tonight?

And then before she’s out again you need to fix your yard, chicken yard or run to make it dog proof. If the dog can still get to your chickens you might not be able to save the next one.

I’m very sorry this happened and wish you and your hen the best.
The dog is a 100lb Burnese Mountain dog that got out of her yard and into mine. My coop gate was latched, but he scratched at the gate enough to get open. I felt like I did my part, but obviously not enough

Back
Top Bottom