Dog attacked my Wyandotte

Amandakay

Chirping
Aug 15, 2020
Alabama
I need all opinions for my girl. She is 8 months old and a dog attacked her today. I have her separated from the flock and she’s eating and drinking and even still layed an egg. But I’m really worried about her injuries they are pretty nasty. Images are posted below. I also dont have a livestock vet around and the reg. Vets tell me they aren’t that knowledgeable with chickens. Please any info on what to do with my girl? Ty

Attachments

• A730BC9B-8963-4B1A-A08A-39A73956830E.jpeg
    A730BC9B-8963-4B1A-A08A-39A73956830E.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 10
  • B224D420-CBB4-47A3-95B3-D3BF1BC93B3B.jpeg
    B224D420-CBB4-47A3-95B3-D3BF1BC93B3B.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 40C91D39-7C20-43E2-B63F-00B8B16CB583.jpeg
    40C91D39-7C20-43E2-B63F-00B8B16CB583.jpeg
    551.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 54590554-EAC8-4737-9DBB-995F58DDA533.jpeg
    54590554-EAC8-4737-9DBB-995F58DDA533.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Clean the wound as best you can. Use a spray like Vetricyn on it. Place chicken in an enclosure where it us warm and dark for it to rest. Give water with electrolytes. Chickens can suffer shock the first 24 hrs or so. If wound is in a flexing place try to use vet wrap to keep wound edges together but be sure to change it and clean wound every two days or more often. Saline solution is a good flushing substance.

I need all opinions for my girl. She is 8 months old and a dog attacked her today. I have her separated from the flock and she’s eating and drinking and even still layed an egg. But I’m really worried about her injuries they are pretty nasty. Images are posted below. I also dont have a livestock vet around and the reg. Vets tell me they aren’t that knowledgeable with chickens. Please any info on what to do with my girl? Ty
The wound at the rear, is the vent involved too?

If possible, use an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine or betadine to clean/flush the wounds. Warm soapy water will work too if that's all you have.
For the wound at the rear, I would trim the fluff and feathers away from it so you can see it better (all the wounds really, but the one on the rear looks interesting).

Apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wounds, keep them moist with your ointment. I would not wrap wounds. Keep her on clean dry bedding.
If she gets damp/wet from your cleaning the wounds, dry her well. A hair dryer will do the trick.

See that she's able to drink on her own. She looks pretty alert in the photo, but monitor her for lethargy.

The wound at the rear, is the vent involved too?

If possible, use an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine or betadine to clean/flush the wounds. Warm soapy water will work too if that's all you have.
For the wound at the rear, I would trim the fluff and feathers away from it so you can see it better (all the wounds really, but the one on the rear looks interesting).

Apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wounds, keep them moist with your ointment. I would not wrap wounds. Keep her on clean dry bedding.
If she gets damp/wet from your cleaning the wounds, dry her well. A hair dryer will do the trick.

See that she's able to drink on her own. She looks pretty alert in the photo, but monitor her for lethargy.
I don’t think her vent is bothered, she did just lay an egg. She is drinking and eating. I’m going to tractor supply in the morning to get all the stuff I think I need.

Back
Top Bottom