Dog attacked our barred rock, help needed

rainymonday

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Hi,
I have a 6 month old barred rock hen that my dog attacked today. This is not the first time the dog has tried to get one of the chickens, but the first time she has been successful. The birds are in a coop at night and in an enclosed pasture with predator fencing during the day. This girl has been more adventurous of late, and must have jumped the fence. The dog was wearing a muzzle, which I insisted on ever since she grabbed one of the other hens a few weeks ago. I usually won't let the chicks and dog out at the same time, but today the dog had been inside while we were away, so I put the muzzle on and let her out.
From the looks of things, she pawed at the chicken repeatedly, so the hen's back is red (but not bleeding) and feather free. a 6 inch portion of red flesh is exposed on her back and wing. She is moving around, eating and drinking just fine. I am not sure what to do for her now, though. I am worried about infection, as she does not seem to have injuries beyond the obvious--she is moving without trouble and ran right up to use to get some food (I give them treats each night when the go into their coop).

Relevant info from the list in the emergency forum:

1)What type of bird , age and weight. Barred ROck, 6 months, 6 lbs, maybe?
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Injured by dog, definitely not bitten, but pawed and feathers removed.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? happened in the last two hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? n/a
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. just the raw, exposed skin on the back and wing
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. see above
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. interested in both food and water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? rescued her from the dog, offered food and water, secured her in the coop.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I don't know if we have a chicken vet--would prefer to treat at home if possible, but willing to vet if needed.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The birds are pets; this one is particularly adored by the kids, so we really want to do everything we can to help her.

Quote:
Thank goodness for the muzzle, sorry this happend and
welcome-byc.gif
I would wash the area real good with soap and water or watered down betadine, make sure to dry her real good and put something like neosporin w/o pain relief on her skin. Keep her separate from the reat of the flock till your able to get some Blue-kote then spray the area real good with it. It will help with healing and also help disquise the area. But when you put her back with the others make sure to watch that they aren't pecking her because it can get out of hand quick, chickens are drawn to red, thats why i said Blue-kote because it will make her skin and feathers purple. [and anything else it touches] lol even with the BK some chickens will still peck so keep an eye out for trouble. She should heal fine, she might not get her feathers back till after molt though. Hope this helps and all the best.

Thanks so much. We isolated her and will pick up some blue kote tomorrow. I am also looking at a few chicken apron patterns to make that would help protect the spot without feathers, but don't want to do this until I am sure the skin has healed. Any other advice appreciated! I have been reading here for months, sorry one of my first posts is such a downer!

Aloha rainymonday and
welcome-byc.gif
from hawaii - Sorry about your girl
hugs.gif
but you came to the right place. im sure youll take good care and thank goodness for the muzzle X2 like Miss Lydia said. see you around! i need to go back outside and help DH finish our coop! finally!!! i think the girls will be moving in tonight!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom