Dog behavior question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Godsgrl, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I have a two year old bird dog/terrier mix. She was originally my dd's dog, but you know how busy teenagers are.. Anyway, dd has been gone quite a bit this summer, and when she is home, it's only for a day or two. Sweet Pea (dog) is so attached to dd, she is over the moon happy when she is home. However, I've noticed that when dd is gone, pup will sleep all day. It seems to only be the first day she is gone that the pup does this. Then she bounces back, and is fine.

Other people are home; myself and two other teenagers. We give her lots of attention, and things, but still the first day dd is gone, Sweet Pea will sleep all day. Is she moping? In all other respects, she is happy and healthy. Eating fine, running around and playing. I'd appreciate any insight you can give on this behavior. Thank you!!

[​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Sounds like missing your DD. She will come around eventually. Hang in there. Beautiful dog.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    thank you Terrilhb.

4. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    Is sweet pea still young? i had a pup of mine do that when ever i was gone, but luckly she grew out of it. You just want to make sure that it doesn't develop into something like seperation Anxiety that can be a hard thing to break! but with the other kids there to play with her that probably won't happen. She's just sad that her momma is gone (as long as mom returns) she should be fine.

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I'd recommend whoever is home the most take her for nice, long walks - maybe even with a pocketfull of little delicious treats. That should help distract her from missing DD a bit. My DD has a 10 yr old border collie that she did agility with since the dog was a youngster. Althea (the dog) is extremely attatched to DD. I've convinced DD to take Althea with her whenever she can. When she doesn't, Althea gets pretty mopey, too. I know what you mean - my DD is gone quite a bit (she's 20), but she realizes Althea needs her (Althea is epileptic as well as needy!).
    Good luck!

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I'd be appreciative of a quiet, calm terrier all day [​IMG] It just shows that she's got a good head on her shoulders and I wouldn't worry about it, it also shows that she looks at your DD as a leader and just waits quietly for her. I'm sure she's fine and she sounds like a super nice dog.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whenever we go away the Princess and I take our golden to our daughter's. There she has 5 humans and 3 other dogs to play with. When she comes home, she sleeps for 3 days--she's just exhausted.[​IMG] We had occassion to go to our daughter's today without the dog. When we got home, she was all over me smelling me and my clothes for messages from her other pack members.

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I would think she misses the daughter. Perhaps other people can do some more stimulating things with the dog when the daughter is gone, like walks, hikes, and playing games with a ball. So the dog doesn't feel that the daughter is the only one who lights up his life.

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    thank you for all the wonderful suggestions, we will put these to use and see if Sweet Pea gets to feeling better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by