Dog bit a 4 week old chick. Will she be OK?

PensR1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
I had the babies out in the yard while cleaning the brooder. My DH didn't know and let our Golden Retriever out. Well A large bird dog was no match for our babies. She managed to catch one before I could grab her collar. She did drop her on command, There are no puncture marks, broken wings ect. She was still alive and could walk, but was panting. For a few hours she sat in same corner of the brooder, I took water and food to her but she wouldn't eat or drink. I didn't think she would make it through the night and kept checking on her. But this morning she got up, ate, drank and seems to be acting fine. I just hope she will be okay. How long before I know for sure?

I had an experience like this last year. Yours seems to be much better off than mine was. A few things to consider though. Dogs, especially bird dogs, know not to puncture skin, but chicks are soft and can easily have internal damage.

If she is walking around fine and eating this morning, I would say you have a great chance of survival, but check for possible internal damage. Mine manifested in the form of air in the abdomen.

If she is fine in a few days, with no signs of internal issues, I think you are in the clear, but always keep a close eye, just in case.

Hope this helps.

Thank You. That is what I am most worried about is internal problems. I am going to run home on my lunch break to check on her. I know how animals act ok so others don't know they are hurt. I'm just hoping she is ok and not just acting and go down in a few days. Thank You so much.

Back
Top Bottom