1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog bit chickens butt, how to check for injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ahwhite, Sep 11, 2016.

1. ahwhite

ahwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    My dog accidentally got out today while my flock was ranging and went after the chickens. She got one by the tail feathers, but let her go when we went after her. The chicken seems ok, doesn't seem like she pulled out any feathers. We sort of inspected her tail, didn't see any blood, but it is so hard to see skin. Any tips to make sure there aren't any punctures? Or is the lack of pulled out feathers and lack of blood enough to determine she is fine?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Other than a close up exam, not really. Is she showing signs of pain? If not and if you don't see broken skin you are probably okay. If there is broken skin be careful as the other birds will peck at that area, worsening the original wound. You can use Blue Kote for the wound to keep the others from picking. Good luck to you! :)

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds to me that your Dog did no damage...?
    The Chickens is fine...If She is still running around normally, nothing is wrong...My pup this spring got after my duck and swung him by his neck pretty good...He was fine too...I also have a 4 month old Yorkie that caught my Hen by the tail...Hen is fine...As long as no Blood or broken bones? Your bird will be okay....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by