Dog bite. Vet closed. What to do?

Chickens tend to be very hearty. My parents have had several chickens mauled by their unruly dogs. Unless they got a hold of them so bad their lethargic they usually make it. Yours seems to be doing pretty well.

I am anxious to know how your girl made out, just an getting back into the computer thing after a busy summer!! My heart goes out to you as I have been in your shoes, only my 7 week old got into the "Big girls" pen and pecked her almost to death. She lay limp in my husbands hands and thank God we didn't do what we thought we should do at first because they really bounce back!! We put her back in the brooder in my basement with heat lamp and I was up all hours the 1st 2 days getting her to drink and eat. She healed nicely, now 8 weeks later she is our garage chicken. Does not want anything to do with the chicken world. She follows us around outside like a kid. My husband is making her a little coop next to the others. I hate to have her by herself but really she is happiest then. Who says chickens are dumb animals?? She even tries to go in the house!! Never thought raising chickens would be so much fun for the whole family!!

Well, Pooh is at the vet being stitched up. I'm a bit embarassed by the amount of money I'm spending to sew up a $2.80 chicken, but she IS one of my favorites and I just couldn't rationalize putting her down if it was possible to stitch her back up again. Who knows if it will work.
The vet was quite impressed by the area of skin that needed to be reattached. They are sedating her, which I've heard is hard on chickens. I guess we'll see. She was alert and chatty while we were there. The vet and tech commented that they'd never had quite such a talkative chicken before. She wasn't screeching or bagawking. She was just muttering to herself a bit.
smile.png

Sooooo, if Pooh survives the anesthesia and the stitching, she will be a house chicken for the next few weeks to let the place scab up. Once infection is no longer an issue I'll move her into a secondary coop next to the main coop. I'm hoping there are no re-entry problems, but we don't have much choice.

I go back for her in a few minutes. FIngers crossed that all went well.
fl.gif

Hope all will be well! Thanks for helping her.
hugs.gif

Initial acquisition costs in dollars and cents bears no relationship to their actual value, thank goodness!

We're on parallel tracks at the moment. My hen Ellie went in hospital yesterday - hundreds of dollars and less than 24 hours later she's home now - so far cause of illness and prognosis unknown. Hoping she'll pull through......She may need a bunch more tests if she doesn't respond to the meds he gave her.....

JJ

Well, so far so good. She came through it all with flying colors and is currently resting quietly in a dog crate in the dining room. And who says the dining room never gets used.
big_smile.png

She is on bed rest for the next three days. If all is well at that point we will upgrade to a bigger crate. If all is well in another week or so she can move back outside into a wire kennel next to the big coop. The things we do...
smile.png

You are very right about their actual value. She's one of my favorites and I couldn't bear the thought of not at least trying to fix her. She has the best personality.

Thanks for your help and encouragement! I hope your girl comes through okay too. Keep me posted!

Back
Top Bottom