Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

I have an english cocker spaniel (totally dif from amer cocker, a true bird dog) who is very interested in flushing/chasing chickens. i don't think she'd ever kill them, as i think she's expecting us to shoot them
smile.png
By nature, spaniels don't actually catch or kill birds, just chase them.

Well I used to have a Lab that would "play" with the girls and boys untill he finally got the point. He was a great chicken guarder after that untill he got stolen. I now have a great pyr who is about a year old and was raised with chickens and taught by her mom to protect and sometimes herd them. Shes been wonderful and I would deffinately recommend this breed.

Great Pyr=Chicken Guarder
Lab=Maybe chicken guarder:p

Oh I also have a chihuahua who is an inside dog and when he is outside he ignores the chickens.

We have a AKC registered Golden Retriever.

She lets the chickens jump on top of her while sleeping.

She is protective of them.

10376_lily.jpg

Ok, these are the dogs I have or have had.

Boston Terrier - Chicken Friend

Bulldog - Chicken Ignorer

Doberman - Chicken Ignorer

French Bulldog - Chicken Killer (very strong prey drive for anything with feathers or small and squeaky!)

Yorkie - Chicken Killer (my mom's dog, another dog with strong prey drive, even at 8, she still catches chipmunks, birds out of the air, chickens when she was here and one made the mistake of flying over the fence, etc)

Maremma - Questionable/Maybe - Remi is only 9 months and is mainly in with our goats, I would bring him out to feed him and the muscovies would be feeding nearby with no problems. Then one day some couple of young chickens slipped into his pasture, probably about 2 months old and he killed them. To be honest, I think he was playing with them, that is what it looked like. We are working on that. Since he is a livestock guardian breed, I think with more training and maturity, he will be fine.

DH told me today that our Cleo ( see earlier posts) just walked between the two feisty roos at their fence today and they both backed off. I don't know what or how she tells the boys, but she will not tolerate any rooster commotion and they both back off and do not challenge her. We bring Cleo into the pen to collect eggs when Blue is feeling his oats and she merely looks at him to back him down. Our hens either ignore Cleo or have been known to peck at her long hair to see if it tastes good. Cleo is very mellow towards the girls...except when those flighty teenagers go crazy. Then it's time for her to herd them back into the coop for a *time out*- enforced by her lying in front of the door for a few minutes while they think about their transgressions.
I'd call her the Chicken Whisperer.

I have a Aussie. He has killed 1 chicken, 1 guinea, and he's carried around a duck that had been playing dead. He is only 6 months old. He is still learning. And tying the dead animal to your dogs neck doesn't work here... he didn't care. He's a puppy, I suppose he forgets...

heres my chicken demon right now...

snow011.jpg

I also had a blue heeler that killed chickens...

This is Nori:
29266_027.jpg

She's an AKC red/rust Doberman.
She doesn't kill the chickens, but she tracks them, then herds them, then scares the living poo outta them.
barnie.gif

I told my husband that if she ever kills one of the peafowl, she's GONE!
So far, though, she's toed the line but not crossed it... yet.

I have a Dobe too!

For not being raised around chickens he is excellent with them. When the chicks were babies he was intrigued but after a few weeks they were pack members. My chickens, on the other hand, swear they are dogs. They've figured out how to use the dog door, come running along with the dogs for treats and come when called lol.

Doberman= chicken ignorer
Yorkies=chicken ignorers/chicken chasers (until the chickens turn and chase them back!)

Here's a pic of my dogs peering into the brooder box when my babies had just hatched
smile.png

CIMG5196.jpg

F

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom