Dog breed to get along with chickens and family

Rosekitten

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2018
Rockingham, NC
So I'll be moving in another month or two, once we have the land set up and everything in order I plan to start my own chicken flock. I've grown up around livestock and had pet chickens all my life so I'm not new to the ranch style living idea. But all my life I have only ever owned or grew up around Labs or the tiny dogs that were adopted in the family.

I presently have three cats, a lab/retriever (she'll be 1-2 years old by the time we get to where I can adopt a new dog) and two kids that are on the young and loud side.. I wanted to see if there was any advice on a breed I should keep an eye out for that gets along with kids, pets and chickens at the very least but other livestock as well would be preferred..

I'm not sure where or how to even begin finding a breed that suits this sort of life style.. I know my biggest struggle with our current pup is that chickens run... and that kicks in her drive to chase being the breed mix she is.. it's something she is gradually getting better about but I don't trust her off a leash around them that is for sure.

Also in case area and weather is an issue, I'll be moving to the middle of NC heh.

My Blue Heeler is awesome with my chickens! He is super smart and easy to train. Once he knew the girls were off limits, he kept a respectful distance. He dosn’t even give them a second look now.

Agree-any breed CAN get along with chickens and other livestock if trained, but there are definitely breeds that would make it harder if they are very high prey drive.
My old Doberman was FANTASTIC with my chickens and son...our new one that just turned two has a much higher prey drive. She listens and will back off the birds/cats/whatevers around, but you can tell she's really fighting her instincts.

Great Pyrenees are GREAT livestock guardian dogs, and if raised right are also great family dogs-but do tend to prefer to be with their flock of animals than the humans. Very independent.
Bernese Mountain Dogs are a lot like the Great Pyrenees, but less independent and seem to be more family oriented. Both are very large breeds with the health issues that come with that.

I know any breed can be trained. I was just curious if there was any I should research more into. Like I said the lab/reteriver rescue mix we have is slowly learning that chickens are not prey. She gets along fine with everything else like cats and other dogs. Just chickens seem to be a temptation to her.. she's far better then when she was as a pup.

I'll be at home most of the time so training and exercise isn't a real issue with any breed.

A Livestock guardian dog (LGD) is probably what you are looking for
There are a lot of Different breeds, so you should be able to find one with the specific traits you are looking for. But training and the dogs personality are more important than the specific breed of LGD

Back
Top Bottom