1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog clicker

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Missbehavin, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    I was thinking about using a dog clicker everytime I give my chicks treats so they will know very early on if they hear that noise they are to come to me. i will continue doing this as they grow. It will be easier to get them in a run if I have them out free ranging and I need to put them in. Any thoughts or has anyone used such a method.
    Deb

2. lotusgirl40

lotusgirl40 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    I have done lots of clicker training with my dogs and heard stories of people clicker training chickens, although I have not tried it myself. I think it sounds like a good idea. I think it would work.

3. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    You can be just as successful using a specific sound or calling for them and then give them treats. However, if you would like to clicker train them with any specific behavior, I recommend super-gluing a clicker to the handle of a red measuring cup. Then, when you want to shape a behavior you just click and give them a peck from the cup.

I would recommend working on calling them or (another thing I do) put their scratch in a milk jug and teach them to come when you shake the container. ALL of my chickens come running from across the property when they hear that milk jug rattle! It's a more-prolonged sound than a click, and they will be more likely to hear it.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It would work great, but easier to just call them. What I did was say "come on ladies" when they first started eating whatever the treat was a few times when I fed them, always the very same way. It sure didn't take long to associate those words said that way with a treat! You should see them come hauling it when they hear that now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by