Dog clicker

Missbehavin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Texas
I was thinking about using a dog clicker everytime I give my chicks treats so they will know very early on if they hear that noise they are to come to me. i will continue doing this as they grow. It will be easier to get them in a run if I have them out free ranging and I need to put them in. Any thoughts or has anyone used such a method.
Deb

I have done lots of clicker training with my dogs and heard stories of people clicker training chickens, although I have not tried it myself. I think it sounds like a good idea. I think it would work.

You can be just as successful using a specific sound or calling for them and then give them treats. However, if you would like to clicker train them with any specific behavior, I recommend super-gluing a clicker to the handle of a red measuring cup. Then, when you want to shape a behavior you just click and give them a peck from the cup.

I would recommend working on calling them or (another thing I do) put their scratch in a milk jug and teach them to come when you shake the container. ALL of my chickens come running from across the property when they hear that milk jug rattle! It's a more-prolonged sound than a click, and they will be more likely to hear it.

It would work great, but easier to just call them. What I did was say "come on ladies" when they first started eating whatever the treat was a few times when I fed them, always the very same way. It sure didn't take long to associate those words said that way with a treat! You should see them come hauling it when they hear that now.

Back
Top Bottom