Dog crate question.

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
At least one of my 2 eggs have hatched, either last night or early this morning. I have a make shift nest box with food and water inside a dog crate. I know the chicks will be able to fit through the bars. When do I take the crate away? I figure I will leave the box for sleeping since they need a nest easily accessible. I don't want to chicks going through the bars without mama and I'm not sure if it is too early to open the crate as I have 7 other chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_20210422_124347026~2.jpg
    IMG_20210422_124347026~2.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 13
Can you zip tie some hardware cloth or cardboard to the bars to make a chickproof barrier?
I could zip chicken wire to it but it doesn't give them a lot of room. I was debating about integrating right away. We have 8 other chickens, the coop is full size 5.5x6 plus a secure run attached that is 8x5 plus a daytime run that is 12x8. I would have to pull the whole crate out to secure it all the way around 😔

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_174657172_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210421_174657172_HDR.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 10
It currently isn't secure to keep the babies in. I would have to pull the whole crate out to chicken wire it.
Is the crate up against two walls?
You wouldn’t have to chicken wire the whole side, just the part that is tall enough for a chick to get through. Hardware cloth would be easier to do and the chicks wouldn’t be able to fit through the wire.

Is the crate up against two walls?
You wouldn’t have to chicken wire the whole side, just the part that is tall enough for a chick to get through. Hardware cloth would be easier to do and the chicks wouldn’t be able to fit through the wire.
There is spacing between the studs and the walls that the chicks could fit through against the walls and then get stuck. The other chickens wouldn't be able to get to them but neither could mama.

Back
Top Bottom