Dog defeathered chicken HELP!!!

Vintage Chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
What a sight this morning! My new dog likes to pull the chickens back into the coop by pulling them by their wing. This morning however, one of the girls gave a fight, and playtime was ON! The dog COMPLETELY deafeathered my girl from her tail to her neck, exposing a good 3 inches on either side of the backbone. She looks bloody, but is not bleeding. I asked a neighbor to put her down, but after looking at her, he said to just monitor her today as it look like there aren't any bite marks. What do I do with this traumatized, defeathered girl??? I'm getting ready to coat her with coconut oil and vermicycin.

I would keep her separate from the other birds and be sure she is clean, dry and warm. You can put neosporin on her wounds if they are surface wounds, just be sure to get the non-pain relief kind.

Upon closer inspection, I DO see a couple of places that look like she has some puncture wounds (no oozing blood though). I poured warm coconut oil on her, and wrapped her in an old t-shirt. She's in the house now, and I have a red heat lamp as well as a heater blowing on her. I'm just more concerned now about the apparent open wounds.

Sorry to hear about your hen. My dogs tried to get one of my girls too...she flew into the dog lot and we didn't see her. She hid under a bush, and they couldn't reach her, but in her fright, she suffered a huge, deep gash in her back. I slathered NuStock all over and in the wound. It is a product made for that...and kept her in a warm crate for two weeks. The wound was so deep, I thought I would loose her. Well, I put her back out with the flock two weeks later! And you couldn't hardly tell she had such a bad injury. Amazing stuff! I'll never be without it....you should be able to find it at a farm supply store...or ask if they can order it for you.

Back
Top Bottom