Dog eating poo..

rjrinehart

Songster
Mar 6, 2017
Southeast Tennessee
So figuring most people have dogs on their farms or yards, is hoping someone can help. I have three dogs all whom eat chicken dropping and also the feed. It's layer feed with cracked corn in it and they love eating it. My question is, is it normal for my youngest dog, she is almost 4 months to be consuming so much that when she poos it's diarrhea with lots of obvious chicken feed in it?

So figuring most people have dogs on their farms or yards, is hoping someone can help. I have three dogs all whom eat chicken dropping and also the feed. It's layer feed with cracked corn in it and they love eating it. My question is, is it normal for my youngest dog, she is almost 4 months to be consuming so much that when she poos it's diarrhea with lots of obvious chicken feed in it?
I am not a vet, but dogs eat chicken poop, If the 4 month old has just started eating it/feed it might not be agreeing with its stomach, if it has been eating it and just got a upset stomach--I would look for other problems---worms maybe?? OR maybe you need to try another dog feed---maybe she don't like hers?

I think that there is something going on with this dog other than the chicken poo and the feed. She should not be having diarrhea. But, you should limit her intake of both, if at all possible. My dog is fond of my bird's FF, and loves to snack on poo. Never kiss a dog on the lips.

I am a vet. There are plenty of bacteria and parasites a dog can get from eating poop. You should take your dog to your vet and give him a fecal sample to run. And don't let your dogs eat the poop and feed. It's not good for them....especially with a puppy who has specific nutritional needs, if it's alot of feed it can cause nutritional imbalance.

Hope this helps~

Cindi

I think a dog will eat a little chicken poop but not a lot unless its hungry. I do not like for my dog to eat it, but a bite here and there happens. Now my GP dog will take the tops off the feed buckets to eat some of the chicken feed. But she does not eat a lot.

Back
Top Bottom