Dog eating quail poo...

rjrinehart

Songster
Mar 6, 2017
Southeast Tennessee
so where I have my quail is in a 2ft by 10ft cage. And we have a gravity feeder for them. Then the feed falls the quail like to rub their face in it. It's a later feed, gamebird, with cracked corn in it. My question is, is that my puppy is almost 4 months, and I'm pretty sure it's her that is eating the feed and poo and her poo is diahrrea with obvious quail poo and feed in it. What should I do? Is it harmful for her?

so where I have my quail is in a 2ft by 10ft cage. And we have a gravity feeder for them. Then the feed falls the quail like to rub their face in it. It's a later feed, gamebird, with cracked corn in it. My question is, is that my puppy is almost 4 months, and I'm pretty sure it's her that is eating the feed and poo and her poo is diahrrea with obvious quail poo and feed in it. What should I do? Is it harmful for her?

There are some types of fungi such as Histoplasma which the puppy could get from eating bird droppings, not sure if quail are carriers or not though. It doesn't seem like your puppy has it though as Histoplasmosis doesn't cause diarrhea as a symptom, and it seems like the puppy is having a nutritional overload from eating the pellets which is causing the diarrhea.

I'd still stop the puppy from eating them as there is the risk.

When my dog got into chicken feed once it gave her diarrhea. When she eats chicken poop it gives her horrific gas. So I would definitely try to prevent both. Since your pup is so young, I would consider taking her to the vet if the diarrhea doesn't stop today. They can get dehydrated quickly. Also, to be safe I might get a fecal done to make sure your pup hasn't picked up any worms.

Back
Top Bottom