Quail is super skinny but eating- Help

Backyard chaos

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2022
Hello! I’m back! Sadly with bad news

We have jumbo Coturnix quail (sorry is spelled wrong) that recently have been moved outside in their cages as we don’t have space inside. They have been doing great until today. Me and my brother went outside to feed everyone and I noticed one of the quail was separated from her mates and puffed up. I picked her up and found she’s SUPER skinny. So skinny I could feel her breast bone protruding out. I brought her indoors in my indoor birds coop and have given her some layer mash. We normally give them layer and gamebird mixed but I’m scared she’s not able to eat the larger pieces. She’s eatting and drinking but is still being super still and puffed up. I’m scared to put her back outside in case she might be getting bullied and that’s why she’s so thin. I’m not sure what I should do. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpeg
    IMG_2049.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 26
Is she pooping?
Has she laid an egg?
Have you seen any signs of bullying?
Do you have more than one feeding and watering station?
Does she have any other symptoms?

I would keep her inside until she fattens up a bit. if she's not pooping or laying, she might be egg bound, but if that were the case, she would probably have passed away before getting so thin.

Is there a chance that bigger birds were keeping her away from the food? Multiple feeding stations can help prevent that.

Have you notice her droppings since separating her? What color and texture are her droppings? Sounds like 1 or 2 things that she has contracted, 1. Coccidiosis or 2. Intestinal Enteritus, Ulcerative Enteritus.

Last edited:
Is she pooping?
Has she laid an egg?
Have you seen any signs of bullying?
Do you have more than one feeding and watering station?
Does she have any other symptoms?

I would keep her inside until she fattens up a bit. if she's not pooping or laying, she might be egg bound, but if that were the case, she would probably have passed away before getting so thin.

Is there a chance that bigger birds were keeping her away from the food? Multiple feeding stations can help prevent that.
She is pooping and it seems normal. No blood or anything unusual. There are eggs in the cage but I don’t know if any are hers so I’ll have to keep her in to see if she lays. In each cage there’s a big feed and two water droppers. There isn’t a ton of space but I’ll have to look into getting each one a second feeder. I was thinking maybe the bigger ones were keeping her from food.

Have you notice her droppings since separating her? What color and texture are her droppings? Sounds like 1 or 2 things that she has contracted, 1. Coccidious or 2. Intestinal Enteritus.
Her dropping seems to be normal. No blood or runny. If it’s one of those what would I do to help her?

Her dropping seems to be normal. No blood or runny. If it’s one of those what would I do to help her?
If it's coccidiosis, Corid is the treatment. If it's IE or UE ulcerative enteritus, tetracycline or duramycin is used for treatment. If you can, I'd take it to a vet, if it's UE, a vet will have to give you a script for tetracycline.

If it's coccidiosis, Corid is the treatment. If it's IE or UE ulcerative enteritus, tetracycline or duramycin is used for treatment. If you can, I'd take it to a vet, if it's UE, a vet will have to give you a script for tetracycline.
I would love to take her to the vet because they could help her but sadly I don’t have the money :(( it would probably cause around $100 or more to take her and I just don’t have that money.

Back
Top Bottom