Dog for chicken protection?

actressbarbie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011

I'd like to get a puppy to train to help protect our chickens but would like some opinions as to what breed would be best. Thanks :)

That's a tough question and there are lots of opinions out there. We have a German shepherd but he has killed a duck and maimed one but no chickens. They don't "squeak" like a toy. My aunt has a German shepherd that will kill a chicken if she gets the chance. I, personally, think a puppy would be wise. So far, the ducks have been our only casualties.

I'd research the different herding/flock dogs. There are lots to choose from. Some shed some don't. Some are big some small.

Good luck

I would look at the Great Pyrenees. We have a wonderful dog, half Great Pyrenees half Anatolian Shepard, who guards our chickens and she is great with our children. Very sweet and loving dog.

this is my first post .
any dog you are in control of will protect your flock once you teach them that chickens are part of your pack.my great dane watches over chicks already after only three weeks.this same dog chases and killls herons that messed with my koi at my old house.

agree with every post on here! i have a standard poodle and he dose great, cases them because they run but never hurts them, and helps to kept them in the yard, and will guard them from the neighbor's dog that likes fresh chicken!

Do you leave your GP out at night Clucky Jay? We had an Anatolian and he'd come in for some a/c in the afternoon but he opened our back door every night if we forgot let him out before we went to bed. He died last year and we had a total lost of our flock 28 chickens in under 2 weeks and I didn't even know we had a deer problem until he died. :(

But we had him originally for our sheep on the farm, when we moved to our 3 acres he just switched over to hanging with the chickens, they got so used to him they would sit on his butt. So, if you're interested in a natural guardian dog, you can't beat Anatolians. Just don't expect him/her to play ball and fetch and that sort of thing. He's just going to look at you and then turn his back and lay down ;P

I have a new flock now and I'm look for another Anatolian but maybe I should be looking at GP too. Though with all that white fur, how much care does it take to keep it looking good?

Back
Top Bottom