Dog for chicken protection?

Value and type of dog is a function of situation. Free-range birds will benefit. Larger flock covering larger area will benefit more. If dog also valued as pet, then range of breeds suitable but smaller breeds may have problems with larger dogs. Most losses not caused by other dogs are most likely to be at hands of raccoons, oppossums and foxes. First two will be active at night while latter will be out at anytime. At night chickens are afforded some protection by cooping / roosting system and dog can make so predators do not have enough time to break in. Any dog with suitable attitude and greater than 45 lbs can handle those predators. Hawks and owls are very easy for medium to large dogs to keep away so long as dogs are active and able to get to predator if and when it get at birds. Coyotes are fun to talk about but they are not nearly as problematic as first three mammals if dog is at least half again as large as they are. Coyotes seem to respect larger dogs more than a sneaky little red fox will.

You will not be able get enough information about value of dog by just asking about breed or training method. Other considerations such as confinement systems, make-up of flock, types of predators, and your management system must also be considered. iF you start with a pup, then you will be a year or more before dog can deal with predators tuffer than oppossums, hawks and owls. Some dogs never get tough enough to deal with some predators and that is a mental issue. Training with respect to predators can help or hurt. Four parties will be learning for success to be realized; you, dog, poultry and predators. It takes time.

My Australian Cattle Dogs keep all the predators away. They have never hurt the chickens and make sure none are hiding under the chicken house at night.

Well, they are all contained for now. My pasture isn't fenced all the way so I cant turn them loose. GPs will wander if they are set loose. Anna is under two years old and is half golden retriever, so she would take off when the bug hit her to. She loves hunting skunks and killing them, rabbits too. She'd come back I am sure, eventually. Its just too risky to let them roam with no fencing.

Good dog in your yard/pasture, can be a livestock killer in another person's yard. Also, you could get sued if they cause a wreck. Shiane is over 100 pounds and could kill someone if they hit her or swerved to miss her. She also doesn't call back very well. Very strong-willed and does what she wants.

We got very, VERY lucky and she is livestock-safe. She was over a year old when I got her, and wasn't a working dog--she was my friend's pet.

She takes her job very seriously though. ANYTHING in the pen with her belongs to her. If there is anything amiss, she is on top of it instantly. Anything outside of their enclosure, she sees it as not hers and not supposed to be there. Even the livestock. When she gets put to pasture, she will take everything I put in there as hers to protect. She loves puppies, too. All babies so far.

She is, so far, NOT rabbit safe though. She loves to catch/eat them. I haven't tested her on our domestics yet but will someday soon. If she winds up not being good with domestic rabbits, I am keeping her--just keeping the rabbits away from her. lol

So far her coat has been good. I brushed her once since I got her and that's it. I bathed her once and she is still mostly white, lol. Their enclosure doesn't have seeds and snags though.

Some people shave their GPs each year but I am leaving her full because of the coyotes we have here. Their fur protects them. I want to get at least one more GP so they can tag team, if the wild packs come around. I was actually thinking about investing in a good breeding pair of them. They really do win you heart over quickly.

She also doesn't eat much at all. She eats one scoop more than one of my husband's hunting dogs--she doesn't eat all of that though. I know as puppies they eat you out of house and home though!

She also trained my rooster to stop attacking me. He was headed for the pot until Anna had a go at him. He was set straight in one tumble, lol. I'll probably still eat him though.
thumbsup.gif

i have a fiest and a beagle in my yard as pets. my wife, kids and i spend lots of time in the yard around animals with them. we have taught them not to bother the animals. my kids also take them hunting. so the dogs enjoy hunting in the yard at night. they tree coons, opossom, and fox in the yard.

fiest and cur dogs are bred to hunt and protect the yard. if you spent the time with them they will learn both. beagles are bred to hunt, and it took a long time to break that "i'm going hunting with or without you attitude". start them young and spend lots of time with them. mine have also learned to breakup chicken fights.

-would absolutely recommend a Great Pyrenees, as well! -excellent guard dog and very good pet. Climate and lot size should be considered. They are very large dogs that do need some space. Also, they are best suited for a cooler climate. (The hubby grew up with one here in Texas. -seemed to do fine with plenty of shade/water....but when he came indoors - the drooling - whoa!) Anyway, a Pyrenees would get my vote!

Back
Top Bottom