Dog had 3 seizure yesterday

Quote:
Our vet did explain that to us, but he said that her case was so severe that other than the pills we were giving her not much could be done. The other vet agreed (two totally different vet clinics). It was the same for the techs GSD.
sad.png

that is great that the steroids are there to help others though. I must say though that I dislike shots for my animals....it's bad enough some shots kill newborn infant babies at birth, and for a stupid $8 shot to ruin a dogs life completley when she wasn't even yet 6 years old just hurts.

what was I thinking- my moms friends sister had a dalmation kicked square in the head by a draft horse (whom he was harassing), that we know of he never had seizures but he acted completely different from that day on, which is sad...it was probably brain damage but the owner looked at dogs as "just dogs' If you know what i mean so nothing was ever done about it..he died young, but not soon after being kicked wh oknows if it was related or not....but iw ouldnt be suprised. Edited to add::: I hope your baby gets better! The same to OP....poor doggies....ATLEAST they have wonderful owners willing to go the extra mlie for them to help!

Last edited:
Quote:
I just read your post, had she had a rabies shot or any sort of shot reciently before they started? sounds so much like Sydneys problem she had
sad.png

Wow, I just read your post. It sounds like when Leo started. Many vets are quick to diagnose "idiopathic epilepsy." That just means that they don't know the cause and the symtoms are treated rather than the cause. I took Leo to the neurologist and had his head scanned and an eeg done. It was discovered that he had adult onset hydrocephalus. He now gets a steroid to control that. Until yesterday, he was doing well. The vet thinks it was the stress, or perhaps he thew up a pill and we didn't know it. I would definitely suggest you get your dog to a neurologist. We found out that if we had just put him on the seizure meds recommended by the regular vet, the hydrocephalus would have worsened and killed him. Also, be forwarned, seizures have what is called a kindling effect. The more seizures a dog has, the more he/she will be prone to them in the future, regardless of treatment. The neurologist explained it this way. He said that a seizure starts when a defective nerve or nerves in the brain get excited and a chain reaction gets started. The reacting nerves damage the nerves around them. Each seizure results in more defective nerves. The more defective nerves you have, the more likely you are to have a seizure.

interesting info sharing there- my cousin has epilepsy she's had it since she was a toddler, she's now 15, and already cannot drive when she turns 16 because for an epileptic to get their drivers license they had to of not had a seizure for a year....it's very hard for her to avoid seizures...i feel so bad for her about it. She can't go to dances without worry of having a seizure (the flashing lights....her one taht doomed her at 16 for a drivers license was at a school dance), has to be careful when being on the computer, or at the movies.... im pretty sure hers is unknown as well.

Quote:
Leo had a seizure in November that I think was triggered when he watched me candling eggs. He loves chicks and loves to watch the bator, but he will no longer go in when we candle. I think that the bright light in the dark room was too much.

As for driving, your cousin needs to be careful even if she eventually is able to get a license. DH has a supplier at his work that is epileptic. He went seizure free for years and was allowed to drive again. One day while driving he felt a seizure coming on. He pulled over and shut the car off to prevent an accident. A police officer came upon him while the seizure was starting. He was unable to respond to the officer's requests to get out of the car. The officer ended up dragging him out and beating the crap out of him because he thought he was a crazed druggie resisting arrest. I know that most police officer's would exercise better judgement than this. The whole stuation was very unfortunate.

Chocolate, and ESPECIALLY Bakers chocolate will cause seizures in dogs. Make SURE your dog doesn't have access to chocolate!

Quote:
No, no chocolate. We are very careful about things like that. I don't have little kids in my house so it is easy. Leo eats a combination of 2 dog foods, Natural Balance venison & sweet potato flavor and Solid Gold Holistic. Leo is allergic to chicken meat so we are picky about his food. Foods with BHT or BHA are also a no-no because they can cause seizures. Leo just eats his food and what I give him off my plate. I rarely cook chicken because I can't share it with him. I buy expensive all natural, no preservative, all beef hotdogs to put his medicine in. DH complains that Leo gets better hotdogs than he ever has.

Last edited:
im sorry! Thankfully we never had any thing like this. We have had dogs will unsolved things that killed them but not seizures. My dogs have to go get there shots in a couple weeks now im scared.

Back
Top Bottom