Dog House Coop?

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
This is my Rottweilers old whelping house, it was made from a recycled calf hutch/pen. It has also been used for the ducks. the measurements are about 3' x 4' and about 4.5' tall. I was planning on turning it into a coop for my 5 Bantam Cochins. When the dog was using it, the roof was hinged on one side for easy access. I plan on roofing it.

What would you do to make it a Coop?

ETA: It will get 'Beautified' after the renovation
smile.png

100_4732.JPG

100_4733.JPG

100_4731.JPG

Last edited:
Nice size, but it looks drafty. I'd use the frame, but put plywood on the outside instead of the boards to keep the drafts to a minimum. I'm not sure what the ventaltion needs are for a coop that size, but you'll probably need to add some. Crazy I know, get rid of the spaces between the boards and then cut holes for ventaltion, but there is a huge difference between the two.

I like scrap lino for the floor because it's easy to clean, but you could just add shavings. If you take the sides down it would be nice to put the nesting boxes on the outside--saves space and makes getting/checking on eggs easy. Good luck with it! Chickie projects are fun!!

Seal it up so that it is draft free
Add a door that can be secured shut
Install a roost of some sort
Add some kind of ventilation
Make some windows so that daylite can shine in
Put a toe board across the bottom so they don't kick out their shavings

Brag to everyone on how you recycled the dog house:cool:

Hello, and have fun designing your renovation. Our small coop is about 3' off the ground, making a breezy shady refuge for our hens on hot days or, now that the weather is turning more wintery, a shelter from the cold wind or weather. We've installed straw bales on the open north and east sides under the coop to block wind, cold rain, and eventual snow. We've left open the south side under the coop for them to go in and out this little area. I also put their feeder and waterer under the coop. This means they do not have food and water during the night, but they always eat well during their late afternoon free range time and just before they go to roost in the coop. Works for us! ~G

We converted a doghouse into a little coop when our hens were still too small to be in the henhouse at night with the big girls. It worked great!

Here's a couple of photos:
30389_tempcoop_open.jpg

30389_tempcoop.jpg

What a great "find." I would also put that up on at least 3ft legs, cover the whole thing with plywood to cut out the drafts and cut an access door (hinge it back on) in the side, seperate from the "chicken" door. I'd also cut and drop in a window in the back wall to let in light. That peaked roof is just begging for a weathervane.

I just started tearing it down. the bottom is a little yucky from sitting on the ground but will work until spring. I found 2 pieces of ply-wood that were a perfect fit for the sides. I'm leaving the front & back alone for now...i cant find the skilsaw
sad.png

I think if i put a good coat of paint on it it'll seal the very small gaps. I have a gallon of white barn paint somewhere.

I think a window in the back would be great! the back will be facing towards the hill where the sun goes down so they'll get sun all day in there.

The feraming on it is kind of crappy...was mostly attached to the boards on the sides, that's what held it up, lol. But i'm working on it. I'm going to put together a couple nest boxes & roosts to go inside before i put the roof back on.

the chickens are already running around inside of it
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom