Dog Kennel as a brooder pen?

PaintedCavalry

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I have a medium sized wire dog crate that I am using as a brooder. I wasn't supposed to be getting chickens until May, but my husband has fallen in love with the Buff Orphington breed and purchased 6 today. It was hard to get him on board and now all of a sudden, he's way more than just on board.

So I was wondering if I should put the brooder lamp above the kennel or on the sides? It's more like a M/L kennel than the smaller M ones, so I'm not quite sure. They'll have to go in the house because outside we're already getting up to 90' no problem, but at night it's getting cooler. For now it will just be easier if they stay inside where the temperature is more regulated, I think. Can I overheat them or will they have enough space to get away from the heat if they need to?

When should I start leaving them outside some on the porch? It's going to be consistently hot here before we know it, so I'm trying to get my game plan together.

on the side. thats what i always did. just make sure they have water
big_smile.png

They need a warm end and a cool one, so on one end either above or on the side. They need ventilation but avoid having a draft too. Watch them and they will tell you if they are too hot or cold. If they stay huddled tightly together directly under the light they are cold. Should be about 95 degrees for the first week, then you can drop it about 5 degrees a week till they get their feathers in about a month.

This was before my ducklings arrived. After, I used a broom stick and put it through the kennel and attached the light that way. Raised it as needed.

Back
Top Bottom