Dog Kennels

Madie'sOddFlock

Songster
5 Years
Apr 17, 2018
Maine
Has anyone ever used an outdoor dog kennel for a chicken run? I'm trying to find ways to save as much money in the beginning, even though I might upgrade later. I've got 12 chickens(hopefully growing by next year), and my family has 40. My family free ranges but where I want to hopefully breed chickens(as well as selling eggs), we're thinking I should just go with a big run. Any thoughts would help.
Thanks!

I have a Retriever brand kennel that I got from tractor supply co.It is welded wire so it will hold up better than chain link which I haven't had much luck with. You can also buy expansion panels so you can make it bigger as your flock grows. The stand alone kennel is 5 x 10 x 6 ft high. Currently mine is 10 x 15 and I plan on adding 10 more feet to the length. Also you may want to consider putting a roof on it or at the very least chicken wire over the top to discourage hawks from diving in for a free meal

Has anyone ever used an outdoor dog kennel for a chicken run? I'm trying to find ways to save as much money in the beginning, even though I might upgrade later. I've got 12 chickens(hopefully growing by next year), and my family has 40. My family free ranges but where I want to hopefully breed chickens(as well as selling eggs), we're thinking I should just go with a big run. Any thoughts would help.
Thanks!
Many have, can take substantial reinforcement tho.
Try browsing some of these threads:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/23655788/?q=dog+kennel&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

We use two- 10X20 kennels for breeding runs with houses adjacent. Posts are concreted into the earth. Chicken wire wrapping the bottom of the chain link 2 feet high. Works like a charm. Very easy to partition as well for introduction purposes as well.

Back
Top Bottom