Dog killed chickens - do I start over?

UGAchick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Riverside, CA
I have had bad luck with dogs and chickens, as many of you have. Just this morning, my foster dog dug into the chicken run and killed all 6 of my LF (that just started laying last week). I raised them as chicks from a hatchery. Now I don't know what to do (besides reinforcing my run and getting rid of the dog). Should I start all over with chicks or do I try to find laying hens somewhere? Should I just wait until next year? I think only Ideal hatchery has chicks left this year.

Poor babies
sad.png

well, thats discouraging!
i would try to get some laying hens now and then get chicks in feb or march ... personally.

but im now expert.
good luck.
don't give up. loss is part or raising chickens. replenish abundantly- thats my motto.

Lots of hatcheries are still selling chicks, I know Meyers still has em, the selection is small now, or there may be a delay but there's still options. If you want more that's totally up to you. Here's Meyer's addx, it's the only one I have available real quick like. http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_dept_1.htm

Once
a dog decides chasing/killing chickens is a good thing, it's doubtful you'll ever break it of the idea so yeah either he has to go or it's probably best not to get more chickens till you work that out.

I am so sorry for this terrible tragedy -- no doubt you're devastated.

It's my opinion that older pullets/hens can come with a boatload of unexpected problems -- illnesses and quirks that are just not a lot of fun to address. If it were me I would opt for a new set of chicks.

My best to you,
Jenny

My little 6 lb puppy killed 2 of my chickens. Now when he goes outside he has to be tied to an 8 lb weight. I'm going to work on retraining him to be good to chickens.

Chickens are too much fun not to get more - go for it
jumpy.gif

Thanks for the replies and encouragement! The dog already went to a new foster and my other dogs are still uninterested in the coop.

I am leaning toward hatchery chicks, as I have had the best luck with health that way. But I certainly can't have 25 babies. Perhaps I can sell them off as they get older. I really don't want to have to wait 4 more months to get eggs!! Well, lesson learned I guess. I feel so horrible for my beautiful chickens.

So sorry about your loss, once a dog kills a chicken it is very hard to break the habit. One old country remedy was to tie a dead chicken securely under his neck and let it just rot there and he would hopefully just get sick of the smell. Out of desperation I tried that once but in the end just got rid of the dog. Have had dogs that didn't even have any interest in chickens at all so guess it just depends on the personality of the dog. Chickens are always a challenge as so many different critters seem to want to make a meal out of them! Know it is discourging but just start again and chalk it up to experience!

Back
Top Bottom