Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
So did you take them to court? did you win?

I have a person that lives about 6 houses down the road, they walk their dog up to my house he does his thing in my yard and they walk away. Well after a month of this I walked down there with a 5 gallon bucket full of their dogs poop. Knocked on the door and handed him the bucket saying these words " I think you left this in my yard by mistake, being a good enighbor and all I did not want you to go with out" you should have saw the look on their face.

He went to say something I interuppted and stated. " No need to thank me, your welcome" Not another word was said

He has not pooped in our yard since then, Turns out they had no clue that it was rude to do this. My other neighbor told me that they now pick up their dogs poop

That is the most awesome thing I have heard in a long time! Truly awesome.

I'm glad some one spoke the words I was thinking. We too have spent $$ after $$ to keep our dogs in a fenced yard....(7). We live on 28 acres and try very hard to keep our dogs confined. We also have 3 horses. And did not seek out all these dogs! They have been dumped and abandoned and these are the ones we have been unable to rehome...

That said...I do NOT blame you for shooting the dog...dogs are predators and mine are no exceptions. Especially one is a very good hunter and mouser...

We are still trying to solve our devious dog delimma while contemplating getting chickens...we have a secure coop...but would like for them to be able to roam a bit.

I am sorry for your experience and your loss. I hope those dog owners understand your loss and you all can work together.

I can't feel sorry for the owner who doesn't care enough about their own pet to keep them safe. Even after being warned by the deputies that the dog can be killed, they just shrug their shoulders and continue to let the dog roam.

A few years ago a similar event for me. The husky bounced on the fence over and over scaring the chickens out and killing them. I shot him and the dog officer found the owner who said 'not my dog - mine had two blue eyes.' and got away with it.

I grew up on a farm..... Had cows,pigs,rabbits,chickens,cats and dogs!! Where I came from, if a dog killed a chicken, it was good as dead. My dad always said once they kill one there is no stopping them. That being said I have both, chickens and dogs now and do not let my dogs run free on our 6 acres. They are fenced....with my chickens and are the protectors of my flock..... My husband and I look at t this way, we are responsible for controlling our animals. It is not my neighbors responsibility to have to worry about my dogs going on their property, nor should I have to worry about my neighbors dogs coming on my property and killing my chickens. Which is exactly what happened, so we fenced 3/4 acre for the flock. Would I shoot a dog.....you betcha! I have the right to protect my family and or livestock from being attacked by predatory animals.....dogs included. Would I hate to have to do it.....yep!

PS.... I wouldn't shoot a dog for randomly roaming on to my property.....I would have to feel threatened or feel my family and flock are in danger.

I guess I am in the minority here in that I would feel no remorse at all. As a dog owner myself, I keep my dogs under control and if one of my dogs went after someone else's dogs, chickens, or especially children I would expect the person to shoot them and they shouldn't feel bad about it. Once when I was much younger, I was out in the yard shooting my bow and my Grandpa's beagle was there with me. A german shepard came in the yard and picked the beagle up by his back and tossed him behind him. He turned to attack again but I ran at him and he ran off. My Grandpa and I rushed the beagle to the vet and there was no major damage but did require stitches costing my Grandpa a couple hundred bucks. Later that day I was out in the yard shooting my bow again and that same shepard came back and stood right by my target. Now, being younger I was afraid I would get into trouble for shooting the dog, but I had it in my sights before I let the bow down and he walked off. Now days i would not hesitate. I don't mean to sound cold hearted, but I look at every animal for what they are good for. Chickens for meat/ eggs, cattle for beef/meat, dogs for protection/hunting/companionship.....if something is going to take away something that supplies me with something I need it better supply me with something equally or more useful or it better be able to out run me.
I am very sorry to hear you lost your birds, but please don't feel guilty for protecting what is yours.
Chris

I have and will shoot a dog in my chicken yard. I shoot to kill so it is humane as possible. I feel no remorse whatsoever. If a dog just crosses the front yard, the owner gets one warning. No warning if they are where the chickens are. I lost most of my flock a few years ago to two Chihuahua's. Never again if I can help it.

To the OP-sorry for the loss of your chickens. I hope the dog's owner paid up w/out going to court~you don't need that additional hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom