Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't go around killing owls, they are federally protected and it can land you in jail or heavily fined. Just put up nettings and secured runs so the owls do not come back for the picnic.

Sorry about your ducklings.

I understand you, I was about to kill an owl for taking 10 ducklings from me. 7 ducklings of 3 days old and 3 ducklings of 2 months old.
hit.gif
He took my little Capuccino here's a pic

I helped him hatch

I was SO angry with that owl. I DONT LIKE ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH OWLS.

my dog killed 26 of my flock. she tore the wire from the post and before we could stop her killed 26. anyone want a dog who kills chickens, cat and has bad hips.........guess the answer is obvious. I think we have created these chicken killing dogs. years back when most people had farms they would do away with dogs who killed chickens and breed those that were good with them. You end up with more dogs that are good with livestock, today that is not the case.

I don't think it is as much that as pure and simple no one talked about it. It was a non-issue. No one would think twice about it and definitely wouldn't see a need to talk about it.
That and people were out there WITH their dogs and livestock. The dogs had lots of human interaction and training, even though it was most likely informal training done at home. There was lots of exercise and plenty of fun and games playing with the children.
It's not that the bad genes have been passed on but that the entire life was different. Many people view their dogs as little furry people. They don't understand that dogs will be dogs and sometimes they kill things. That killing things doesn't make their dog a "murderer" but a dog.

The same trait that makes a dog a chicken killer is the exact same thing that makes a good herding dog or a good hunting dog. It is the work that you do with the dog that shapes that trait into something bad or something good

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have read this whole thread and do not understand the comments such as "we live in the country, and it is acceptable and common to allow dogs to roam and run free." I live in the country and do not find it acceptable at all! It is only a matter of time until they cause BIG problems for someone. Certainly wont be for the owner since the dogs are not home. I have a neighbor who lets her dogs run wild. They tear up the trash, poo is other people's yards, have killed chickens, guinea fowl and I have seen them attempting to dig under my fence 3 times. Why should I have to be subjected to this just because I live in the country???? This mindset of roaming dogs is unacceptable is a HUGE bother to me and is not fair to those of us who keep our dogs at home where they belong!

First off sorry for your chickens, I'm also sorry for the dog owners. I'm going to take slack for this but like others have stated dogs do get out and roam every now and then. Now I know you have every right to shoot the dog, but it seems to me there are better ways IMHO of dealing with dogs. Better enclosures for your chickens ect. I own two awesome dobermans, princess and drake. Princess hands down will catch a chicken and kill it without blinking that goes for cats too, drake on the other hand is a giant meathead that makes you think he should wear a helmet somedays :) if my female was to kill the neighbors pet be it chicken or cat or whatever I would hope they wouldn't shoot her. She's doing what is natural to her. And if they have the chance to shoot her in the act why wouldn't they try to chase her off first. I would deffinantly pay for any expenses incurred. But if someone did kill her Im not sure how I would react to that, cry first and probably end up in jail. I might be off base with this but I have owned different animals over the years every thing from raising mice to cattle, and currently working on getting my first set of meat birds. Love them all to a degree but nothing IN MY OPINION compares to dogs. Yes their predators and shouldn't be on or around your property harassing your livestock. But with better animal husbandry practices you can avoid losses. Over the years I have had ducks killed, pigs attacked, and dog fights from roaming dogs, was I mad as #%^* sure was, did I curse the owners for letting the gosh darn dog out yeppers but did I kick my own *** for not keeping my animals safe, I sure did. Not that I couldn't have just shot those dogs, I just found better ways of keeping them out. Just my rant after reading so many stories of people shooting dogs and seem to take pleasure in it. Not that the op seemed to she honestly sounds shaken over the whole incident. Best of luck with your next birds truly sorry for the whole situation.

Quote: Ahem, why not better enclosures for your dogs? My chickens are on my property. If your dogs are on my property, they are treated like any other predator, which is exactly what they are.
hmm.png

My family raised AKC Dobes. I love them. I can still shoot one if it is going toward my chickens. May shed a tear or two, but it is what it is.

My chickens are farm animals more than pets. They don't roam at the neighbors and I expect the neighbors to keep all their animals on their property. Believe it or not I lost chickens to the neighbors Chihuahuas. They are now missing. Hmmmmm wonder what happened? Gotta shoot low sometimes.

First off sorry for your chickens, I'm also sorry for the dog owners. I'm going to take slack for this but like others have stated dogs do get out and roam every now and then. Now I know you have every right to shoot the dog, but it seems to me there are better ways IMHO of dealing with dogs.

Mandatory training for dog owners before they can get a dog?

Punitive taxes on dogs so that dog ownership is limited to people more likely to have money to compensate livestock owners (or at least they have strong incentives to keep the dog from all public attention if they are trying to evade the taxes)?

Treat a dog's actions as the owner's actions from a criminal perspective so if the dog growls at someone the owner can be charged with assault, if it kills chickens the owner faces criminal mischief charges, etc?

Require dog owners to have extensive liability insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom