Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO animal that is owned by a person should be roaming EVER! I as a dog owner take responsibility in keeping my dogs at home. I have completely fenced 2.5 acres of property for my dogs and chickens. My neighbors who do not keep their dogs home have harassed me by allowing their dog to come up here and attempt to dig under MY fence multiple times. No way you try to look at that is going to be fair to me. Dogs who get out and roam from now and then do not have responsible owners! I have had dogs for 15 years straight and none of them have EVER been out roaming...not ONE time. SO if I can keep my dogs home , so can everyone else. It takes money, effort , and time to care for a dog and keep your predator from being a nuisance to others, but that what dog owners sign up for when they get a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake01 

First off sorry for your chickens, I'm also sorry for the dog owners. I'm going to take slack for this but like others have stated dogs do get out and roam every now and then. Now I know you have every right to shoot the dog, but it seems to me there are better ways IMHO of dealing with dogs.

Mandatory training for dog owners before they can get a dog?

Punitive taxes on dogs so that dog ownership is limited to people more likely to have money to compensate livestock owners (or at least they have strong incentives to keep the dog from all public attention if they are trying to evade the taxes)?

Treat a dog's actions as the owner's actions from a criminal perspective so if the dog growls at someone the owner can be charged with assault, if it kills chickens the owner faces criminal mischief charges, etc?

Require dog owners to have extensive liability insurance?

Really lol a bit much don't you think. You make dogs out to be the most viscous, evil, demonic creatures that have every roamed the earth. I had a horse come into my yard and got into my garden should I have shot it because it destroyed my property? Let's tax all animals including chickens because they might poop in someone else's yard. Get real

First off sorry for your chickens, I'm also sorry for the dog owners. I'm going to take slack for this but like others have stated dogs do get out and roam every now and then. Now I know you have every right to shoot the dog, but it seems to me there are better ways IMHO of dealing with dogs. Better enclosures for your chickens ect. I own two awesome dobermans, princess and drake. Princess hands down will catch a chicken and kill it without blinking that goes for cats too, drake on the other hand is a giant meathead that makes you think he should wear a helmet somedays
smile.png
if my female was to kill the neighbors pet be it chicken or cat or whatever I would hope they wouldn't shoot her. She's doing what is natural to her. And if they have the chance to shoot her in the act why wouldn't they try to chase her off first. I would deffinantly pay for any expenses incurred. But if someone did kill her Im not sure how I would react to that, cry first and probably end up in jail. I might be off base with this but I have owned different animals over the years every thing from raising mice to cattle, and currently working on getting my first set of meat birds. Love them all to a degree but nothing IN MY OPINION compares to dogs. Yes their predators and shouldn't be on or around your property harassing your livestock. But with better animal husbandry practices you can avoid losses. Over the years I have had ducks killed, pigs attacked, and dog fights from roaming dogs, was I mad as #%^* sure was, did I curse the owners for letting the gosh darn dog out yeppers but did I kick my own *** for not keeping my animals safe, I sure did. Not that I couldn't have just shot those dogs, I just found better ways of keeping them out. Just my rant after reading so many stories of people shooting dogs and seem to take pleasure in it. Not that the op seemed to she honestly sounds shaken over the whole incident. Best of luck with your next birds truly sorry for the whole situation.
I love dogs too and have three of my own. I also respect all life and would never take a life if I could avoid it. The first time someones dogs killed my livestock or pets I would contact the owner to let them know what happened and how much it would cost to repair the damage and replace the livestock. What happens after that would depend on their response. The appropriate response would be that it did not happen again because the dog owner took finacial responsibility and controlled the dogs from then on. If it did happen a second time I would call Animal Control or the Sherif to pick up the dogs. If it happened a third time the outcome would be on the owner because they were given ample opportunity to take care of the problem.

I don't think it would be best to push mandatory training and tax etc on the population as whole because of the irresponsibility of a few dog owners. Maybe it wasn't even irresponsibility. Maybe it was an accident. My sympathies to all involved. I can't imagine making that choice was easily done.
hugs.gif

Really lol a bit much don't you think. You make dogs out to be the most viscous, evil, demonic creatures that have every roamed the earth. I had a horse come into my yard and got into my garden should I have shot it because it destroyed my property? Let's tax all animals including chickens because they might poop in someone else's yard.

Car drivers must have mandatory training, car owners pay high taxes (in California where I grew up the annual tax bill for a car was hundreds of dollars...just the taxes), if your car plows into a crowd you will be criminally charged - even if you simply forgot to set the parking brake and it rolled down hill, and you are required by law to carry automobile liability insurance.

By your lights people must think cars are "the most viscous (sic), evil, demonic..." devices ever. Your lights are wrong. Cars are wonderful. Everyone - even non-owners, benefit from them. You can get to work, you can carry your groceries home, you can do a million things that would be difficult or impossible otherwise, with a car....but they are also a hazard if not properly controlled, and if misused they can cause far more harm than the average person can set right.

Now, I'd prefer not to do those things for dogs. I think making everyone suffer because a few people are irresponsible is the wrong approach... yet millions of people think exactly that way about guns, about cars, about all areas of life. Why should dogs be different?

You have a choice. Take personal responsibility and allow others to do the same... that means keep your dogs under control, and don't complain when someone shoots a dog that was not under control... or opt for societal responsibility. Societal responsibility follows the path I outlined above. I don't like that path, but then again I'm not complaining about someone shooting a troublesome dog.

I completely AGREE!!!Q!!!!!!!!!

One of the reasons the County came down on me is my neighbor got mad because my dogs were confined to ten foot runs that were five foot wide! He feel the law should be ignored and the dogs should be left to roam the county. I have been a breeder for 65 years. They not only hads their pens but they had a fifty foot run where they could get out and run unsupervised! t went down to our waterfall on oour property and the dogs loved to play there! I also have Ten acres for them to play on when we could go for walks. When I moved here he raised cattle! I lost a big part of my life when the county forced me to give, up my Shelties which by the way the county forced me to de-bark then give them up! since then we have been robed of one of my four pound poodles! Concident??????YOU Guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake01 

Really lol a bit much don't you think. You make dogs out to be the most viscous, evil, demonic creatures that have every roamed the earth. I had a horse come into my yard and got into my garden should I have shot it because it destroyed my property? Let's tax all animals including chickens because they might poop in someone else's yard. Get real

I do sort of agree with this. 8 years ago somebody turned a herd of a couple hundred sheep and 3 or more lgds into our fenced back yard when we shared property with my in-laws. Thought it was public land I guess? The sheep destroyed an entire hillside and to this day nothing is growing on it. I would have been in big trouble for shooting those sheep and the sheriff ruled it an accident so even though our property value went way down, farmer paid nothing.

I also had a horse come over and destroy my garden, and broke through our garage door when startled by a wood pile it knocked over, and trampled a cat. Can't shoot a horse, owner didn't even have to replace our garage door because once again, this was ruled an accident by the sheriff.

I would also probably get in trouble if I shoot the police dog that keeps coming over and will kill my goats and chickens if given half the chance.

On the other hand when my psycho vindictive sister-in-law that nobody claims stole my dog out of my house (saw her driving away from it as I pulled up) and tied him to a fence in a horse pasture in the hopes the farmer would shoot him before noticing his bondage, I was the one that had to pay to replace the fence he destroyed trying to escape even though I reported seeing my dog being stolen before the incident.

So there is a double standard. Plenty of people pay more for a dog than other people pay for a horse so value is a moot point and herbivores can do a lot of damage too.

this is not Dogs and Cats are more important than any other animal, kind of place...........

Just reading your post, how did that turn out with the dog owners, I think you did the right thing, I would have shot it too.. I have many chickens, if you are still looking for some. Guineas too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom