Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never grab a dog by the collar. Even a non attacking dog that doesn't know you will likely bite you for doing so. That is why animal control uses catch poles.

Dogs off their territory and on someone elses property aren't thinking like pets. They think like the predators they are. If I called they sheriff instead of shooting the dog myself, the sheriff here will most likely shoot the dog or if they take it to the shelter, the county will kill it. There is no second chance for a livestock killer. This does not get the owner off. They still get fined and have to pay for the dead animals.

My mother has a nutty dog she rescued from the highway. It tore my dad's arm up one time when he was putting him in a kennel. It took this dog along time to let me pet it and to stop growling at me. I will never grab this dog by the collar EVER as I like the way the skin is on my arm.

My mother has a nutty dog she rescued from the highway. It tore my dad's arm up one time when he was putting him in a kennel. It took this dog along time to let me pet it and to stop growling at me. I will never grab this dog by the collar EVER as I like the way the skin is on my arm.
Frankly, that dog wouldn't live long here. First growl or snap, and it would have been a dead dog. Especially after having bitten your dad. Dogs like that can be time-bombs, just waiting to go off when you least expect it. (Not saying they ALL are, but the potential is there)

Dogs are the most wonderful loyal and loving friends and helpers, and I would never live without them. Having said that, after more years than I care to admit to of dog ownership, I feel qualified to say that there is no such thing as 100% reliability in them or any other creature. They can all be predatory and their prey is small furry or feathery. It's in their nature. Young children should NEVER, EVER be left alone with a dog, and I speak as one who has raised children always around dogs. Dogs like children need boundaries in their behaviour but they also need peace and space to sleep and eat.

Dogs do best in households that are not chaotic and noisy (so do people). I have never kennelled a dog as I have found that they respond best to the constant interaction of the family around them. It is unfair to chain a dog up all day and then expect it to behave mildly. These are creatures that roam in their natural lives. If you fear that no matter what precautions you take your dog may escape and worry other people pats or worse still their children, the only safe thing to do is to muzzle them. Dogs crave exercise and can become aggressive if they are not given the opportunity to release that energy.

Dogs are the most wonderful loyal and loving friends and helpers, and I would never live without them. Having said that, after more years than I care to admit to of dog ownership, I feel qualified to say that there is no such thing as 100% reliability in them or any other creature. They can all be predatory and their prey is small furry or feathery. It's in their nature. Young children should NEVER, EVER be left alone with a dog, and I speak as one who has raised children always around dogs. Dogs like children need boundaries in their behaviour but they also need peace and space to sleep and eat.

Dogs do best in households that are not chaotic and noisy (so do people). I have never kennelled a dog as I have found that they respond best to the constant interaction of the family around them. It is unfair to chain a dog up all day and then expect it to behave mildly. These are creatures that roam in their natural lives. If you fear that no matter what precautions you take your dog may escape and worry other people pats or worse still their children, the only safe thing to do is to muzzle them. Dogs crave exercise and can become aggressive if they are not given the opportunity to release that energy.
I agree, it's unfair to chain a dog up all or keep it kenneled all day. A daily walk, even IF you walk them 2 times a day, is just not enough. Dogs love exercise and they need it. It burns off the extra energy and they behave better if they aren't always kept locked away.

I love my shock collar. I had (HAD) a chicken/cat killing pit bull until I got a shock collar. I turned that baby up to 11 and set him on his rear every time he looked at my chickens (after he killed the first 8). He loves to roam and my neighbors have cats and little dogs. He has gotten out and gone over to their houses to eat their cats food, but what if he had killed their cats? I love cats and other dogs and I don't think I could have blamed my neighbors for shooting him if he had attacked a cat or another dog or another person's chicken.

I got the shock collar to keep him from my own chickens and a wireless fence collar to keep him on my property. He is now a wonderful livestock protection dog, but it took patience, persistence, control over my own rage when he did kill again, and a lot of voltage to get him there.

Cesar gives the training pyramid as: exercise, discipline, affection

Giving affection to a dog that just killed chickens is not the answer. A gun may not be the answer either (it seems so 19th century to me, I keep a tazer and some pepper spray on hand for marauding dogs). But you have got to do what you have got to do.

Grabbing a strange dog by the collar in any situation is a very big gamble. I did have a dog who bit me once when I grabbed him by the collar. He tore me up pretty badly and put me into shock, but I learned a valuable lesson that day and I learned to gain a psychological advantage over him (Cocker spaniels have got to be the worst idea for a childs pet). I was only 13, but I learned to out-think and circumvent his aggressive behavior and I learned that there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting the muzzle on first, then grabbing his collar. I did not treat him like a cute, cuddly pet who was just misunderstood. Yes, he had been abused and that is an explaination, but it is not an excuse. He learned self control through the copious use of a muzzle.

I understand you, I was about to kill an owl for taking 10 ducklings from me. 7 ducklings of 3 days old and 3 ducklings of 2 months old.
hit.gif
He took my little Capuccino here's a pic

I helped him hatch

I was SO angry with that owl. I DONT LIKE ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH OWLS.

Ugh!
Irresponsible dog owners allowing thier dogs to harm people's animals is simply disgusting!
Poor dog and poor chickens! The dog was being a dog, it's the owner's fault!
Sorry about your flock!!

my dog killed 26 of my flock. she tore the wire from the post and before we could stop her killed 26. anyone want a dog who kills chickens, cat and has bad hips.........guess the answer is obvious. I think we have created these chicken killing dogs. years back when most people had farms they would do away with dogs who killed chickens and breed those that were good with them. You end up with more dogs that are good with livestock, today that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom