Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just feel weird about letting him poop on someone elses property, corn field or not. I have told about five different people the bucket of poop story today. Hilarious.

I would think a corn field would be a preferable place for him to take a dump. As far as the bucket of poop to the neighbor, that is a hilarious story. How could someone be so ignorant as not to know it is rude to allow the dogs to dump all over someone else's yard.
Common sense, right? We had a guy on our street who liked to dump his kitty litter box across the street and over the rock wall of his neighbors yard. When new people moved in and they questioned him, he said he'd been doing it for the past twenty years and didn't see a reason to stop now. They only had to call the police once and then he found another place to dump his mess.

First dog attack today. When going into the coop for the night, a german short-haired pointer that just moved into the neighborhood charged the run/coop & scared Bo (my buff orpington). She jumped right out of the top of it and ran for it. The pooch got a hold of her tooshie and tail feathers several times. Bad news - no more tail feathers. Good news - no blood and Bo is resting peacefully in the coop with the rest of the flock. The dog - gorgeous I might add, is well trained. She ran back to her owners the first time they called her. They didn't say anything to us though. :(

How unfortunate!! :'( I cried when one of my chickens died, I can't imagine 20! Aaaah I'm so sorry that happened! My dogs killed my chickens but I must admit I would choose my dog over the chicken so I let her live. She hates it when I'm upset though she felt terrible she was shaking and peeing herself!

Good for you. In your place I probably would have shot the dogs more times.....

I WAS totally against killing animals but until a while ago when I had 5 ducklings from eggs die because a STUPID DOG dug under my coop and killed all of them mercilessly. My dog a chihiwawa fought the small mutt while I threw sticks and rocks at the dog. It would have been okay if it only killed a few and ate them ,but it is another thing to KILL and waste for no reason. That is something I am VERY against. IF I had a gun I would have shot that dam dog at least five times for each of the ducklings that he killed for no reason. Those duckling were my friends. I made outfits for them and went to the pet store to buy fish to put in a baby pool to teach them to hunt. I had them for only a few months,and I watched my favorite duckling grow weak and slowly die. There was nothing I could do. They are not "JUST CHICKENS" or "JUST DUCKS". As hard as we try not to get attached we do anyway and when they die we can't help but cry. I am shaking with anger so I can no longer write.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
My entire yard is fenced, however a female pit bull got in and attacked my older blue heeler. I only happened to see it because I was cleaning a bedroom and watched the pit bull hit my gate and it unlatched. She went straight for Bandit and got him by the foreleg. He was on the ground screaming. I ran out and started kicking her to get her off him. Then the lightbulb went off in my head and realized she could have taken off my foot. So I grabbed a downed tree limb as thick as my arm and started beating her with it. She finally let go and ran to my back yard. She was all smiles and wanted me to pet her!!!
Long story short...
No one in the area knew who owned her, but she had killed other dogs.
I found the owner's mother who showed me the dog and how the animal got out.
I told her I was taking my dog to the vet and they would be getting the bill!!

I was out of work at the time, so this wasn't and expense I was prepared for. I was afraid that Bandit's foreleg was crushed and I would have to put him down to having no money to pay for surgery.

Fortunately, the bill was only $200, small laceration and nicked bone.
I presented the bill to the mother of the dogs owner, and was told her son 31 years old was currently unemployed and going to school.
Later that night, I heard a gunshot.

Two days later and still no response from the owner. So I went over.... CALMLY!! Asked when he thought he could pay me.....blah , blah, blah, he hit me and threatened to get his gun if I didn't get off his property. Oh, and he told me he HAD to shoot his dog BECAUSE OF ME!

I went to the sheriff to report this(went no where as I had no bruise nor did I have a witness), then I went to the Animal Control and reported. Then I collected all the reports and went to file a small claims. The cost was $75 that at the time I couldn't afford.

So the outcome of all this was.....Loss of Time, Loss of Faith in any bureaucracy, Out $200, Evil Thoughts for Both the Owner and his Mother....such as repeatedly putting nails in their driveway!

If I had a gun, I would have shot that dog and hung it on my fence for the neighbor to claim!!!!!!

roll.png
But that's just me!
lol.png
We had a similar situation a few years ago. We had a mutt who was 14 years old and he was on our property when our neighbor's female pitt bull attacked him. We couldn't get her off of him but then our neighbor came out and got his dog off. He shot his dog on the spot. Our dog was obviously too torn up to save him. We didn't have a gun with us so we had our neighbor shoot him. The saddest part was that our dog, Duke, has always been really tough. It took two point-blank shots to put him down.

We live out in the country and have about 20 acres. We also have four dogs who we let roam (one is tied up because he is too young to find his way home). We are surrounded by woods on 3 sides of the house and fields on the other side. Out where we live it is very common to let dogs roam free. We see our neighbors dogs on our property at least once a week. Our dogs have yet to get in a fight with them and our cats (we have 4) have always been left alone. There are a lot of stray cats who live in the woods behind our house and our 2 tom cats spend 98% of their time in the woods too. Our two tom cats have probably got into a few fights with other cats out in the woods, very minor injuries. We have 5 chickens we hope to free range but we aren't sure how our dogs will react to them. Our dogs are very protective of the cats and everything else we own. We have never had any issues of our dogs bothering anybody or their pets. Where we live it is understood that IT IS THE COUNTRY and dogs will be dogs. The only complaints that we have ever heard about dogs walking around on somebody's land is from people who moved from the larger cities out to the country. We live way out in the middle of nowhere. I am a huge animal lover and would be crushed if one of my dog's was shot. I would also understand 100% if one of my dogs was shot for killing pets though. Before I had chickens I must say I probably would not have understood, now I realize how much chicken's mean to people, including me! All I am saying is I don't think it's right to tie somebody's dog up and give it to animal control if all it's doing is walking around your property. If it attacks anything or is destructive then I 100% agree but dogs are pets too and I don't think anybody should lose a dog like that without knowing what happened to it.

I have had neighbors chickens wander into my yard and I return them to their rightful owners, I DO NOT capture them and get rid of them. We have also had cows and mules and horses who have escaped their fields come through our yards. My thoughts are, and always will be, if they're JUST passing through leave them be.

I know how much it hurts to lose almost all of your birds to an attack from a dog. Chickens are often times not only livestock, but often times pets or breeders that you are keeping for the long term. It all happened when I was at work and nobody else was there to watch them. It was the only 20-30 minute portion of the day nobody was there. I will never forget how gut wrenchingly hopeless I felt. For a long time I had a lot of resentful, possibly evil thoughts about dogs, people, and predators in general. It has been over a year since that attack, and I've calmed down quite a bit about it since. However, if I had a gun, and were present at the moment a dog were slaughtering my flock, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same. Of course I would try to scare away the dog first, but as most of us dog owners know, it can be very difficult to bring under control a dog that isn't yours. Especially one that is in a killing frenzy. Since the attack I have learned my lesson and now have my birds fenced in my backyard. I have trained my husky not to even give the chickens a passing glance, he gives my father trouble sometimes, but that is because he is way too soft on him. Huskies are known for being high energy and having a strong predator drive, so if I can bring mine under reasonable control, I can't understand why everybody else can't take the time to properly train, contain, and bring up their dogs. It all comes down to personal accountability, a vanishing resource these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom