Dog Licensing

Quote:
Not all states required, such as Montana, SD, Colorado, I think. It used to be those western states that have vets sooooooo far away that would allow owners to vaccinate their animals against rabies. I do not know about nowadays.

Yep, they can be transmitted back and forth. But dunno about humans to humans, unless we ended up biting someone!
big_smile.png

Wolftracks wrote:
Has nothing to do with cleanliness. Things can look imaculate, but that doesn't stop an airborn disease.

Of course there are always airborne diseases--every where I turn someone's sneezing, coughing or on rare occasions spit (
sickbyc.gif
). Same for human doctor's offices and hospitals. Even cats in the house that look outside through a window screen (my own cats are strictly indoor but love to look outside at the birds) are at risk for airborne disease. We can drive ourselves nuts being ultra careful but in reality you can only do your best and hope they have a decent immune system to ward off most diseases. Dogs sniff everything everywhere
th.gif
and probably pick up many germs along the way. I agree that Parvo is a nasty, contagious disease but my veterinarian has an isolation room with special air vents for any animal who comes in with certain symptoms. Many others have the ill dogs go in the cat rooms and vice versa as most serious contagious diseases do not cross between. Bottom line is there's always a risk--its our choice to decide what is worth the risk.

Ewe sheep wrote:
Not all states required, such as Montana, SD, Colorado, I think. It used to be those western states that have vets sooooooo far away that would allow owners to vaccinate their animals against rabies. I do not know about nowadays.

Interesting decision. Many states now don't even allow a certified veterinary technician to administer it without the veterinarian on the premises (typically in the same room) and taking liability for the vaccination being done correctly.​

I don't license my dogs because they are pit bulls, and license records have been used in the past for coming and taking your dogs. I have no problem with it in general though, and may license them as different breeds.

For everyone that vaccinates at home, there is no problem with that, but every pet should get a regular exam by a veterinarian. There can be a lot going on that your vet should be checking for in a routine exam. Be sure to keep good records too, not just what you gave, but where you gave it.

I would also recommend you have Rabies done by a vet. If your pet ever bit someone (like guarding your property or ANY reason), without proof of rabies vaccine by a vet your dog can be ordered to be euthanized. With a current Rabies vaccine, they just have to be quarantined.

A proof of rabies vaccines would be the paper container that has the stamp of number or location that the vaccination was being used. I save those for the cats for their vaccinations (minus rabies) and wrote down the date and time the vaccinations was done. For an added bonus, have a witness there and they can sign their names on it as well if you like.
I am certain in some cases, the vet can test the offending animal that bit someone to see if the vaccine is still effective in their system.....not sure who said it in here but someone mentioned it in BYC a while back.

Most cases vets dont care about the routine vaccinations but they are stickler for rabies vaccinations and some of them would let you fly under the radar like some vets here does. They do understand its expensive and they have that option to report you if you chose not to have it done. However it would tax the animal shelter big time if people were being reported and can not afford rabies, then we have a bunch of unnecessary put downs on all animals whose owners can not afford the rabies. It is definately a catch 22 situation for most folks.

Quote:
Rabies is at least the one I wont mess with. I take my animals to have that one done by the vet who comes to the feed store and does it once a month - only about $3 more than if I did it plus they give you the paperwork. I still take pets in for checkups, mind, but not too often. I don't even get MY checkup once a year - doctor or dentist
tongue.png

I always license my dogs and always will. It's not expensive and it's legally required so I see no reason not to do it. I also often have my dogs off my property either out mushing or at the dog park and a license is just one more way they can be traced back to me if they happened to get lost.

Back
Top Bottom