Dog meets chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChirpyChicks1, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I have 4 dogs (2 inside and 2 out). The entire time we have had the chickens the dachshund has desperately wanted to be their friend while the border collie has desperately wanted to make them lunch [​IMG] (He has been getting better though so maybe there is still hope.)

Right now the chickens do not free range because of the uncertainty with the dogs. One of the outside dogs has never once acknowledged the chickens existence while the other outside dog is a yellow lab and basically now just hangs out by the coop lol. She use to softly bark at the chickens but doesn't anymore. I'm hoping one day that they all will be able to live safely together. [​IMG] And the chicken and dogs have only been sharing a fence for a little over a month, so I think they are making great progress!

This morning I was sitting in the chicken run and the two inside dogs were laying outside the door. I decided to be brave and let the dachshund in. She did pretty darn well and I made sure to praise her a lot [​IMG] The chickens were nervous but more interested than anything else. Only 1 out of 6 chickens ran into the coop. She kept smelling the butt of my BR Ethel so the dog got pecked a few times once Ethel had had enough [​IMG] So I figured I'd let her in once a day and that would be a great way to start. The outside yellow lab and the inside border collie watched Zoey (the dachshund) so maybe they will learn something too, at least I can hope.

I'll take pictures next time

2. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Today our neighbors insane dog came after my poor chickens. When he was done on his attack our barred rock cockerel was missing; no blood, no feathers and no body to be seen. I was just about to inform our neighbors that their dog is an evil chicken killer, then we hear him in the woods! [​IMG] Happy has he came be he runs back to our flock. After a visual and physical he checked out just fine. When we look at the coop our best bet on what happened was that he flew out of a hole in the fencing and hid in the woods. Hopefully you don't have any experiences like mine our worse and good luck with the dogs and chickens!

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Glad yours turned out alright!

4. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Our Dog's fine with chickens we can let them out and he'll just ignore them!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by