Charlie's Thread

Pics
Hello all,
This issue has been ongoing for nearly a year. Charlie, a 1 year old unknown mixed breed dog, has a habit of trying to bite me when he feels frustrated. Today for example, he did not want to go in his crate (he normally goes in without issues), so I attempted to gently guide him in there. What does he do? He turns around and nearly bites my face. I know, I was a little too close, and he was likely uncomfortable. But this isn’t the only time it has happened. He used to bite when he was a little 8 week old puppy, but I brushed it off. He had a rough start in his life, born under an old dirty barn and wasn’t ever socialized until I got him. Any time I tell him “no” or “stop” or do any sort of correction, he gets so angry, and I’ll never understand where it all went so terribly wrong. I was busy working so I didn’t have much time to train him, but he knows a few tricks and is pretty solid on a few obedience skills (recall, stay, etc). And today, I’ve decided I’ve just about had enough. I’ve put up and dealt with so much from this dog. I love him, but I can’t have an aggressive dog. And hiring a trainer is out of the picture completely. So I only have so many options. 1.) Shelter or 2.) Put him down. He wouldn’t last long in a shelter because he doesn’t like new people or strangers and will bite if approached too quickly.

I guess this is more of a vent post than an “asking for advice” post. I’ve researched and have tried and gave him so many chances. Not just one or 2 times, I’ve let it go time after time and time again. I just can’t do it anymore. I’m heartbroken, I really am. I will admit, I am the problem. There’s something I messed or did wrong im sure. But after months of trying to correct the issue to no avail, or if anything, the issue getting worse… What am I supposed to do?? I just feel absolutely defeated and I’ve failed as a dog owner. If I had to do it all over again, I’d start properly socializing from the start and exposing the pup to what real life is like. But right now I’m just in absolute turmoil.
Does he show sympathy. You can tell ouch and pretend to cry or just say ouch....
Or a firm no hes trying to get dominance. You stay strong and my sure he listens

Anyone know where I can find a tug toy (maybe more durable than this one) similar to this one? I got it at dollar general and the brand was just DG brand and was the only one they had. It’s been about 2-3 weeks since I got it and as you’ll see I’ve already had to use a hair tie to repair it. It’s one of his favorite tug toys so I want to find another one for him.

20EC9326-491C-40B6-AD87-7B94E59A82B0.jpeg

We played tug for a while and we ran trying to burn off some of his energy. He loved every second of it :lol: It was getting dark so ignore how scary the flash makes him look
2FF08BA4-62F9-495E-9F6B-DAD1016F2187.jpeg

So glad to hear things are going well for you two. You are doing such a good job in making sure he gets the exercise and mental stimulation he needs. I bet he's having a ball with all the attention and activities. :love

I googled "rope loop knot toy dog" and a few similar results came up. Not sure if you like to shop online or not. A few popped up under Walmart, so that might be an option if you can't find them at a pet store.

My dog's favorite tug toy is a fox with a big squeaker in the head and small one in the tail. However, it's not super durable. We have gone through, I think, 6 in less than 9 months. Going through them faster as he has reached his adult size. It's great for fetch too though. You can fling in pretty far it you hold it by the tail. Look like this.

philpet-33093-additional-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom