DOG PROBLEMS!! HELP

The problem with Cesar is that his methods involve forcing dogs into shutdown mode, kicking dogs, and generally mentally and physically abuse them. For example, that video of him getting nailed by Holly the Lab, the dog is showing SO MANY signals of "I don't want to bite you but please leave my food alone." Instead of working with her gently and teaching that good things can come from people near food, he just kept invading her space and pushed her straight over the edge, which got him bitten. Literally anyone with sense could have avoided being bitten by that dog in that situation.

love Cesar or hate him, no one who doesn't have experience with these methods or in reading dogs should try to employ his methods.

I'm not a big fan of Cesar. For the past 3 days I've had Chloe on a 20ft chain and her, the other dogs and I play for 30-45 minutes after school. so far it has worked but Chloe seems frustrated when she can't see me. I think she has separation issues, what do you guys think?

it could be a bit of separation anxiety. but I would keep up the work with her. be sure that it's not just running and playing but do some obedience as well. Get her brain working - 15-20 minutes of using their brain tires a dog out faster than an hour of running!

Also try to do some one-on-one with her, especially for the training.

Actually not everyone in Holly the labs own home knew to stay away from her food as that family had an 18 month old son. Holly was one of those cases where she was on her last leg. Cesar did not push her over the edge, his methods didn't cause this dog to bite. She had already bitten both of her owners. And I'm sorry but dogs don't say "please". That is a human word and it does not apply in the dog world. Holly was severely insecure and her owners did not provide her leadership so she became the leader to "attempt" to balance the pack(because there has to be A leader for everything to be balanced!) but because she was an unbalanced, insecure dog with no direction, she also made for a terrible and unbalanced leader, she over compensated for these short comings be using aggression to control her humans. When she hovered over her bowl and growled it was a threat, not a request. She was saying "Back the hell up because I am the boss of this family and this food is MINE". I will agree that she was also showing that she would in fact bite if challenged. I don't allow my dogs to bite me when I come near the food I gave them. I also don't "negotiate" with a dog that is that aggressive, especially when a child is involved. I would like to also point out that Cesar worked with Holly when her owners were not present and Holly did not show hardly any aggression towards Cesar when he approached the food. Cesar did not walk in saying, "oh could I please take a look at your food", he walked in and told Holly through his body language that he was a pack leader. He didn't ask her to leave her food or coax her away or negotiate. He came in and claimed the food and she responded because being a leader actually stressed her out considerably, when he offered to take the position she relinquished it with little fuss. But, when her owner came out, his weak energy flipped Holly back into "leader" mode. She knew from previous experience that she could not rely on her owner for leadership so she would have to become one again to "attempt" to balance the situation. She immediately was more aggressive with Cesar. Cesar handled her aggression using the SAME intensity with her as she was using on him. There was and never has been any abuse. Abuse is taking advantage of someone or something that can't defend itself or get away. Holly was defending what she thought belonged to her and she could have easily gotten away. Abuse was never present and Cesar only used as much intensity *** he was recieving. Holly rethought her position as leader very quickly when she realized that Cesar was not going to stop being calm assertive, even when presented with her aggression. Unfortunately, Cesar was in fact trying to film a television show. While he was talking with the owner, he didn't see the mounting insecurity Holly was feeling over the camera men who were behind her. She went from a submissive state to insecure in a split second. Holly deals with insecurity with aggression so when Cesar turned back to pet Holly she has already gone from submissive to aggressive again. His distraction got him bitten. So as to the statement that Cesar is not a good dog trainer because he got bitten, I would relent to say he definitely made a mistake in this case. His lapse in attention when dealing with an extremely insecure/aggressive dog was a major miss step and I would definitely recommend that anyone dealing with a dog like that should never lapse their attention for even a moment while working with the dog. Holly was and still is the worst bite Cesar has ever experienced though. I just can't understand how you think a person should avoid their own dog. If my FAMILY dog acts that way I will not stand by and hope that my gentle coaxing will help the dog before it bites my kid. For one that is not leadership and for two a dog will NOT respect that kind of "training". Training is just conditioning anyway. I'd rather deal with the real, ever present instincts a dog was born with.
Also, you just proved my point that people take one episode and try to judge a whole trainer on that. He does not force dogs into shut down mode. People call him when their dog has developed a mental block that puts them into shut down mode. When he meets with a dog who has been frequently forced into shut down by their owners he avoids doing anything that will trigger a shut down. He becomes very creative in his tools to help dogs like that. If you have to have a specific example go look up Gavin and Cesar.

@dainerra is correct when it comes to your dog. I don't believe a chain is a solution but it could keep her from causing havoc in the mean time while you work with her. And mentally stimulating exercise is astronomically more tiring than running around on their own. I would suggest pack walking her. This exercise can transform a dog. Look up a video on pack walking to learn how. In addition to a very long pack walk per day or twice a day(like an hour or more) I also have a lot of luck with the invisible fence systems. The ones with no underground wires. You have to train her to it though. I always put mine on a very long leash and when they cross the flags and get shocked I am there to pull them in the right direction to make the shock stop. You might need the stubborn dog collar for her. I work them on the long line for 2 weeks minimum before I allow them to free run the boundaries. Just make sure you line the unit up so that you have to open a door for her to come out of the boundary area. You can't just let her cross the boundary when she doesn't have the collar on. If she's tired from the pack walks then she will be a lot easier to work with on the boundaries.

Last edited:
it could be a bit of separation anxiety. but I would keep up the work with her. be sure that it's not just running and playing but do some obedience as well. Get her brain working - 15-20 minutes of using their brain tires a dog out faster than an hour of running!

Also try to do some one-on-one with her, especially for the training.

ok :)

Back
Top Bottom