Make everyday count
6 Years
Apr 14, 2014
(Insert Something Sarcastic)
My Coop
My Coop
some times I want to shoot my dog!
he.gif
I have a black lab who can get out of and into anything! Every day no matter what I do she digs out of the yard. We have put spicy seasoning around the perimeter, put cinder blocks in the ground, put up an electric fence 3 inches above the ground, we have even buried a couple of those cement parking block thing in the ground but she will push it out or bear though the pain! I need help solving this problem. we live in an area where most people would rather shoot her rather then try to find her owner (me).

for those of you who are going to say "shoot the darn thing or sell it"... I can't and won't. I have another lab who would go into depression if I didn't have the black lab. I also believe that unless an animal is on its death bed and in pain, I won't kill it. (unless it is a animal I raised for meat). I also know that I will regret ending her life when I love her and she is only 6
the black lab's name is Chloe.

I think she might have separation issues if that helps. She is the alpha female in my pack ( I have 4 dogs including her)

Lack of exercise and or boredom is pretty much the number 1 cause of destructive behavior in dogs.
Just because they live outside, doesn't mean a dog is getting sufficient exercise mentally and physically.

The only cure for it is to keep her physically active until she is spent. That either means a short period of intense activity or a long period of moderate activity. Whichever one you can make time for. Some people will put their dog on a leash while they ride a bike to tire them out or walk them while the dog wears a vest weighted with sand/stones

If a pet owner can't meet the energy requirements of their animals, the best thing is to re home them or make some changes.
Good luck.

I caution anyone on using Cesar millan's methods because, quite frankly, they are dangerous and not entirely accurate.

People tend to get wrapped up in being the alpha, but so many trainers (I'm talking veterinarians certified in animal behavior) will advise clients to stay as far away from his training methods as they can. He gets hurt, sometimes quite seriously, more times than the general public ever hears about while employing these methods.

It works for some people, but can also ruin dogs, and this happens quite frequently. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times dogs come in for behavior consult here at the vet school due to issues caused by that type of training. That is why I like to offer a word of caution.

I do, however, think spending money on a behavior consult with a board certified animal behavior veterinarian would be a wonderful thing, especially if it will save the life of an animal. It is cheaper to do than I expected, and many times can be done over the phone. I can get you the name of the woman I had classes with here at Cornell if you are interested.

dogs, like kids, really don't exercise themselves. they will play a while, then stop to rest.

Also, she likely isn't getting enough mental exercise. Mushing isn't going to work her brain. I would start doing some obedience work with her. Even if you have to do 10-15 mins in the morning before school and then a longer 15-20 mins in the evening. Then, once a week, spend an hour working with her on different things. Of course, you're also going to have to keep her running and tiring out her body as well.

Also, I would start taking her for daily evening walks. Just a short stroll around the neighborhood - see new places and things. Living in a yard is really no life for a dog. It's BORING to be in the same small area all day, every day.

A dog SHOULD act calmer and "older" in her own yard. It should be the place where she goes to just chill out and relax.

Keeping dogs out of the trash is one of the easiest things to do in the house. You simply put the trash in a can that the dogs can't open or put the can someplace where the dogs can't get it. For 99% of dogs, simply putting a can with a swinging lid on top is enough to stop them from raiding the garbage.

If you are more worried about the dog getting out and one of your neighbors taking the matter into their hands you can always try this: http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Wirel...980402&sr=8-1&keywords=petsafe+wireless+fence

We have this system for our dogs and it works wonderfully. As long as the collar batteries don't die our dogs don't stray. All it takes is a little bit of training with them or one zap if they are too eager to do the training and then the dog is usually smart enough to know that the warning sound means they can't go any further. We have a Siberian husky that we use it for and also had a bull mastiff at one point that we used it for and neither dog left the yard.

Also do you give this particular dog enough attention? The only reason I ask is because the bull mastiff we had was destructive of items in our house too because my dad was not giving her the attention she wanted from him. Once he started paying attention to the dog and "loving" her she stopped. Maybe this dog is being destructive because she's not getting enough attention from you?

I hope you get it figured out, good luck to you.

when i play fetch, she will come up with the ball and right before i grab it she takes off running

No disrespect but that is lack of obedience training a well trained dog will bring the ball to you go to the heal position and drop the ball at your feet. You dont want to grab it from her you want her to drop it at your feet, did you do the obedience training or did you have it done? As I mentioned you should invest in some retriever training it will help her be a better dog and you a better owner. I read one of your earlier posts but forgot to coment on it, you said that she is the alpha female thats one big mistake that alit of people make, she should not be the alpha that is your role, you should be the pack leader that could also be why she thinks she can get away with whatever she wants you need to reclaim your roll as pack leader and put her in her place or she will never learn right from wrong. Just my opinion and how I handle my dogs it comes from experience so please dont get offended if I sound sturn with you.

I beg to differ, my friends Siberian Huskey has more power then at pit and would still be pulling while the pit is trying to get his strength back. His Husky even out does my German Rott
it really depends in a short weight contest a pit bull may bet a husky put in a long pulling like a distance mushing race, huskies are the champs. Pit bulls can pull a lot of weight a short distance but they use up energy to quickly. a husky know how to start a load and pace itself to save its energy. Pit bull were breed are bull and bear bait not pulling dogs so when people start raising them for weight comps the dogs didn't know who to steady themselves in order to pull for a long time, which why weight comps are short. Both are great breeds with a lot of strength

Do a little reading up on the negative effects of chaining/tethering a dog as the primary method of containment - there is lot of great information out there (and some not so great info - so that is why it's important to read as much as you can find) - also, if this is the same dog already showing issues that likely stem from boredom and a lack of good tiring out, tethering is only going to be that much more of an issue.

I've never had a problem with chaining dogs. The dog I have chained currently can reach water and the other dogs to play. I don't really want to chain chloe because she is a pet, not a working dog like the ones I have chained. the dogs I have chained are in an area where they can't choke, hang or hurt themselves. chaining dogs is not a sin. And its not inhumane. some people have given chaining a bad rep, there is always some idiot who will take a perfectly good and safe Idea and kill it. chaining my dogs is for there safety. its either they get chained or they get killed...

Last edited:
About the only remedy for a dog that determined is to pour a concrete slab and install a chain link dog kennel into the concrete. He WON'T be able to escape that.

don't let her outside unattended. quickest and easiest way to fix the problem

if she is an outside only dog, then building a secure run is going to be the only other option. cement floor and a solid roof

Back
Top Bottom