Make everyday count
6 Years
Apr 14, 2014
(Insert Something Sarcastic)
My Coop
My Coop
some times I want to shoot my dog!
he.gif
I have a black lab who can get out of and into anything! Every day no matter what I do she digs out of the yard. We have put spicy seasoning around the perimeter, put cinder blocks in the ground, put up an electric fence 3 inches above the ground, we have even buried a couple of those cement parking block thing in the ground but she will push it out or bear though the pain! I need help solving this problem. we live in an area where most people would rather shoot her rather then try to find her owner (me).

for those of you who are going to say "shoot the darn thing or sell it"... I can't and won't. I have another lab who would go into depression if I didn't have the black lab. I also believe that unless an animal is on its death bed and in pain, I won't kill it. (unless it is a animal I raised for meat). I also know that I will regret ending her life when I love her and she is only 6
the black lab's name is Chloe.

I think she might have separation issues if that helps. She is the alpha female in my pack ( I have 4 dogs including her)

About the only remedy for a dog that determined is to pour a concrete slab and install a chain link dog kennel into the concrete. He WON'T be able to escape that.

don't let her outside unattended. quickest and easiest way to fix the problem

if she is an outside only dog, then building a secure run is going to be the only other option. cement floor and a solid roof

like they said above, a secure pen. only problem with it is that it isn't really teaching the dog not to try and run away, its just preventing it from getting out while its in the pen. I rescue all my dogs and for the 1st 6-8 weeks they are never without a leash on them, inside or out. when they do something they aren't supposed to I take the leash and move them away. I train them to sit down when someone knocks on the door and I have to answer it. cant stand it when opening a door and dog is flipping out. everytime the dog goes to the fence move it away and make it sit down. takes a lot of work but otherwise all you have is an animal that has to be caged.

I feel your pain. Our black lab who is 9 just won't stay home no matter what we do. We have had to bail him out of doggy jail so many times...

I forgot to add, she will chew through chicken wire and chain link if she can't dig.
don't let her outside unattended. quickest and easiest way to fix the problem

if she is an outside only dog, then building a secure run is going to be the only other option. cement floor and a solid roof

She is an outdoor dog only. She used to be inside but she got into our trash to many times. I would LOVE to pour cement but i don't think our $$ would allow it.
I feel your pain. Our black lab who is 9 just won't stay home no matter what we do. We have had to bail him out of doggy jail so many times...

she just mainly want to sit on the porch. And i would let her do that if her sister didn't want to dig out when she see Chloe. Then if they both get out, they run off. they always come home tho'

Lack of exercise and or boredom is pretty much the number 1 cause of destructive behavior in dogs.
Just because they live outside, doesn't mean a dog is getting sufficient exercise mentally and physically.

The only cure for it is to keep her physically active until she is spent. That either means a short period of intense activity or a long period of moderate activity. Whichever one you can make time for. Some people will put their dog on a leash while they ride a bike to tire them out or walk them while the dog wears a vest weighted with sand/stones

If a pet owner can't meet the energy requirements of their animals, the best thing is to re home them or make some changes.
Good luck.

Lack of exercise and or boredom is pretty much the number 1 cause of destructive behavior in dogs.
Just because they live outside, doesn't mean a dog is getting sufficient exercise mentally and physically.

The only cure for it is to keep her physically active until she is spent. That either means a short period of intense activity or a long period of moderate activity. Whichever one you can make time for. Some people will put their dog on a leash while they ride a bike to tire them out or walk them while the dog wears a vest weighted with sand/stones

If a pet owner can't meet the energy requirements of their animals, the best thing is to re home them or make some changes.
Good luck.

I mush so I will put her on a two dog team and go for short runs. I don't see how she can get bored. she has 3 other dogs to play with, a sandbox, a pool, and a billion toys. She acts older then she should for her age, so getting her spent doesn't take much time. The main problem is keep her in the yard until i can exercise her. After she digs out she is as happy and content as can be. Any ideas for if she is bored? Sorry if i sound like I'm being a brat. I'm just about done with this dog and like i said i can't re home her due to her sister.

dogs, like kids, really don't exercise themselves. they will play a while, then stop to rest.

Also, she likely isn't getting enough mental exercise. Mushing isn't going to work her brain. I would start doing some obedience work with her. Even if you have to do 10-15 mins in the morning before school and then a longer 15-20 mins in the evening. Then, once a week, spend an hour working with her on different things. Of course, you're also going to have to keep her running and tiring out her body as well.

Also, I would start taking her for daily evening walks. Just a short stroll around the neighborhood - see new places and things. Living in a yard is really no life for a dog. It's BORING to be in the same small area all day, every day.

A dog SHOULD act calmer and "older" in her own yard. It should be the place where she goes to just chill out and relax.

Keeping dogs out of the trash is one of the easiest things to do in the house. You simply put the trash in a can that the dogs can't open or put the can someplace where the dogs can't get it. For 99% of dogs, simply putting a can with a swinging lid on top is enough to stop them from raiding the garbage.

dogs, like kids, really don't exercise themselves. they will play a while, then stop to rest.

Also, she likely isn't getting enough mental exercise. Mushing isn't going to work her brain. I would start doing some obedience work with her. Even if you have to do 10-15 mins in the morning before school and then a longer 15-20 mins in the evening. Then, once a week, spend an hour working with her on different things. Of course, you're also going to have to keep her running and tiring out her body as well.

Also, I would start taking her for daily evening walks. Just a short stroll around the neighborhood - see new places and things. Living in a yard is really no life for a dog. It's BORING to be in the same small area all day, every day.

A dog SHOULD act calmer and "older" in her own yard. It should be the place where she goes to just chill out and relax.

Keeping dogs out of the trash is one of the easiest things to do in the house. You simply put the trash in a can that the dogs can't open or put the can someplace where the dogs can't get it. For 99% of dogs, simply putting a can with a swinging lid on top is enough to stop them from raiding the garbage.

X 2 on all points!

A tired dog is a good dog - and mental exercise can be much better at tiring them out than a lot of physical stuff. Things like obedience, agility, etc where they can engage mind and body are great. You can also use things like food puzzles, etc to help her engage her brain and "work" for her meals.

Back
Top Bottom