dog shot in front yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

calliexw

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
My aunts bulldog was shot in her front yard yesterday. As a person with two very small dogs I can relate to not wanting random vicious dogs roaming the nieghborhood... but using leathel force against a dog that is protecting its own living space just seems wrong to me. Wonder what other people think.

There can be no justification that I can see for shotting a dog (or any other animal) that is on its owner's property. Whether the dog was barking, growling or just laying around would make no difference in my mind. There are lots of dogs that roam freely on their own property. Some know their own boundaries and others have electric collars on them. In all cases an animal should be permitted to roam on its own property without having come to harm.

Quote: Your statement here tells me you didn't tell us the whole story...you'd make a good reporter for one of the large networks, LOL.

I think we'd need to know more of the story to form an opinion of it. For instance, was it roaming the neighborhood? Is it always contained in its own yard? Was this completely random? Does she know who shot it? Was it the cops or someone else? Was the dog a nuisance to someone in some way? Was it shot elsewhere and ran home and died in its front yard? Can't say until we know more, IMO.

Should probably not have been shot on its own property, but maybe it wasn't-maybe it had it just gotten back there after being a nuisance elsewhere? You see where I'm going with this. I think there is more to this story than your post says; in fact, I'm sure of it.

People post a partial story similar to this, then we find out the cops shot the dog after it came back from attacking some child down the block and was snarling at them. More information, please.

Last edited:
It's a shame, that's for sure. If your aunt let him run around the neighborhood, then maybe the bulldog was terrorizing neighbors. Is she sure he was shot in the front yard, and didn't get shot somewhere else and come home?

I have two dogs and I just love them, but they're never loose. Now, that's not to say every now and then one of the kids doesn't shut the gate, and then my dogs get loose, but that is a rare occurrence, and usually we're right behind them and bring them home immediately. If that happened, and a neighbor shot one, I would be devastated. My dogs are both girls, and one's just a tiny thing (probably 4 lbs), and the other is around 30 lbs. Both sweeties, but strangers don't know that......

If I'm walking past a property, and I know there's a scary dog, I will go out of my way to give that dog extra room, so he's not tempted to bite me or one of my dogs. People need to use common sense. But dog owners need to use common sense also.

I am very sorry for your aunt's loss!

Quote:
Your statement here tells me you didn't tell us the whole story...you'd make a good reporter for one of the large networks, LOL.

I think we'd need to know more of the story to form an opinion of it. For instance, was it roaming the neighborhood? Is it always contained in its own yard? Was this completely random? Does she know who shot it? Was it the cops or someone else? Was the dog a nuisance to someone in some way? Was it shot elsewhere and ran home and died in its front yard? Can't say until we know more, IMO.

Should probably not have been shot on its own property, but maybe it wasn't-maybe it had it just gotten back there after being a nuisance elsewhere? You see where I'm going with this. I think there is more to this story than your post says; in fact, I'm sure of it.

People post a partial story similar to this, then we find out the cops shot the dog after it came back from attacking some child down the block and was snarling at them. More information, please.
Yep. What I was gonna say. I had a dog run out into the street to bite me, then run back in it's yard. Had I called the police, they likely would have shot it in it's own yard.

Well, my initial reaction was outrage at the situation, but after reading Cynthia's post I must agree. More details please?
smile.png

If the dog is on its own property, there is no reason for the shooting period. That's the most disgusting thing ever, shooting someone's beloved pet. Bulldogs are a very expensive breed and normally are very gentle in nature. It wasn't a pitbull running after them in the street. A dog has a right to be on its property. There is no justification what this person did. Unbelievable. Even if her dog was a pitbull, they are normally very friendly as well. They have a bad rap due to people dog fighting.

Nicole, did you read my post above? There is a huge fact gap in that story. We aren't being told all the details.

Also, the OP said "bulldog". Many call pitbulls "bulldogs" in conversation so as to avoid saying the dreaded word that elicits that gut reaction. We really need more facts here!

If it was a truly random shooting of a dog who was contained on the owner's property, for no reason whatsoever, that would be tragic. That is not usually the case. How many news stories have we seen in Predators and Pests where the reporter skews the story toward the dog owner (poor lab, never hurt a fly) when the dog went five doors down and slaughtered an entire flock of pet chickens, was caught in the act and legally shot by the flock owner?

I'm not saying this dog did anything wrong; I'm saying we are not being given the whole story, only the part that elicits outrage and an internet lynch mob.

Last edited:
If the dog is on its own property, there is no reason for the shooting period. That's the most disgusting thing ever, shooting someone's beloved pet. Bulldogs are a very expensive breed and normally are very gentle in nature. It wasn't a pitbull running after them in the street. A dog has a right to be on its property. There is no justification what this person did. Unbelievable. Even if her dog was a pitbull, they are normally very friendly as well. They have a bad rap due to people dog fighting.

Was the dog shot on its property or is that where it died? Do you know it was not running after people or had not bitten someone? No you cannot answer because insufficient information was given in the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom