Dog show!! Enter NOW!!!

He's a PSD that helps with my anxiety/panic attacks and I'm also working on tasks to help with PTSD from being a volunteer firefighter.
That is considered support dog. Service Dogs go thru hundreds of hours of specialized training which costs thousands of dollars .Service dogs are trained to help people who are blind,deaf or other physical handicaps.There are also service dogs that are trained to search for drugs, work with law enforcement or used in search and rescue situation.I'm correcting you because there is big difference between Service vs.Support dogs and it's having negative affect on Service animals throughout Country.

That is considered support dog. Service Dogs go thru hundreds of hours of specialized training which costs thousands of dollars .Service dogs are trained to help people who are blind,deaf or other physical handicaps.There are also service dogs that are trained to search for drugs, work with law enforcement or used in search and rescue situation.I'm correcting you because there is big difference between Service vs.Support dogs and it's having negative affect on Service animals throughout Country.

I have had him since 8 weeks old, he is now two and he is task trained for my disabilities since, so he has had more then hundreds of hours of training. I also have gone threw the correct medical channels to be qualified for a service dog and have paperwork to back it up. And no I'm not talking about the fake registration sights that scam people out of there money for a cute little badge.
A veteran with PTSD can have a service dog, a service dog is not just for physical disabilities but psychiatric, aka mental, which is what Dixon is for me.

Also the cost thing you pointed out is if you go threw a program, there are owner trained service dog teams, which is what we are, and I am part of a community that is based on service dogs so I get support and guidance for future training. On top of that I have owned and trained dogs since I was young, have worked at dog shelters and am friends with a certified dog trainer.

And you pointed out drug dogs, those are not considered service dogs because they are in law enforcement, a service dog is for a civilian with a disability. I can train my dog to search for drugs or do take downs but can not legally use him for that work.

Trust me, as someone who has fought to get where I am now and prove our hard work as a team, i know how ESA's can have a negative effect of our community. Just because at the time I may look fine, dosnt mean my disabilities won't show there ugly face.

Suga Wooga!!! No, I'm just joking... Sugar.

Breed: German Shepard mix
Age: 10 months (in the picture, now she's about a year old)

sugie.PNG

My parents own business service dog training business.They do law enforcement service dogs and specialized service dogs for disabled.Almost all,the dogs they train come straight from breeders then trained for specific person.

I have had him since 8 weeks old, he is now two and he is task trained for my disabilities since, so he has had more then hundreds of hours of training. I also have gone threw the correct medical channels to be qualified for a service dog and have paperwork to back it up. And no I'm not talking about the fake registration sights that scam people out of there money for a cute little badge.
A veteran with PTSD can have a service dog, a service dog is not just for physical disabilities but psychiatric, aka mental, which is what Dixon is for me.

Also the cost thing you pointed out is if you go threw a program, there are owner trained service dog teams, which is what we are, and I am part of a community that is based on service dogs so I get support and guidance for future training. On top of that I have owned and trained dogs since I was young, have worked at dog shelters and am friends with a certified dog trainer.

And you pointed out drug dogs, those are not considered service dogs because they are in law enforcement, a service dog is for a civilian with a disability. I can train my dog to search for drugs or do take downs but can not legally use him for that work.

Trust me, as someone who has fought to get where I am now and prove our hard work as a team, i know how ESA's can have a negative effect of our community. Just because at the time I may look fine, dosnt mean my disabilities won't show there ugly face.

Well said! I agree.

Service dogs aren't only for physical disabilities. Psychiatric service dogs and medical alert dogs are just as important.

And Hyroler, just because they train dogs doesn't mean you're right.

Police dogs are NOT service dogs. They are called police dogs, drug detection dogs, narcotics dogs, search and rescue dogs, etc. But not service dogs. Maybe you mean working dogs? They are definitely considered working dogs and certainly play an important role but they're not service dogs by any means.

Service dog is a very specific thing.

And there is a big difference between service dogs and police dogs, as well as between service dogs, therapy dogs, and ESA.

A service dog is specifically trained to help their handler with a disability or disabilities. They are specifically trained tasks to mitigate those disabilities. I think the requirement is at least 3 different tasks but it might be lower now, not sure. But most dogs know at least that. There are of course the usual guide dogs (blind people), deaf dogs, mobility dogs, etc. But psychiatric service dogs are just as valid. And in fact, you mention going through an organization, well there are many many organizations that train psychiatric service , particularly PTSD for veterans. So it's a real and valid thing. Autism dogs are also a thing as well as medical alert dogs such as for diabetes and seizures. There's also dogs for anxiety which fall under psychiatric. Dogs do NOT have to go through any sort of organization and you are allowed to owner train. In fact, most people I've seen do because the organizations are so expensive. But a lot do get help from a professional trainer or choose to take a public access test but neither is required. There is also no official registry for service dogs in the United States and registration or ID is not required. It's illegal to ask. Service dogs have full access rights and are allowed anywhere their handler can go. It is illegal to deny access or charge extra. It is also illegal to ask about the disability. You are only allowed to ask 2 questions: is that a service animal? And if yes, what tasks does it perform? That's it.

Emotional Support Animals (ESA) are NOT task trained to mitigate a disability and are NOT allowed public access. Those are the biggest differences. They ARE however allowed on airplanes and in pet free housing but that's it. ESAs need no special training and are simply there to comfort their owners. Now, they are definitely important to their owners, but they have no public access rights or formal training like a service dog does. Now, you can choose to train your dog well, but you don't have to. These are NOT service dogs.

Therapy dogs help other people rather than their handler. They go into nursing homes, schools, libraries, hospitals, etc. And comfort patients. They also have no public access rights BUT they DO need to pass a therapy dog test and usually also the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test and they do have extensive obedience training and socialization. They are not specifically task trained though. These are also NOT service dogs.

However, RatchetRev's dog is NOT an ESA. He is a legitimate SERVICE DOG.

Psychiatric service dogs are 100% real as are owner trained dogs. Nowhere in the ADA does it say that a dog is required to be trained through an organization, that owner training is illegal, or that service dogs are only for physical disabilities.

Here is the ADA law, btw. It states in very clear terms what a service dog is and mentions PTSD.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

And here is a frequently asked questions page.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Back
Top Bottom