Dog training Question. GSD

MeatKing

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Near Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have a German Sheaperd named "Bonk" DD named him.

Anyways he a great dog, but any time I take him anywhere in van. He barks and jumps at windows at people. Acting like a total nut job. "protecting us"

If you let him out've van, he's normal. Not pysco, will walk on leash fine. (We took dog training, dog trainer said he was so smart and one of the best shepereds he has saw. He also said, I would not be able to train him out've this van behavior. (He's the one who suggested doggie seat belt) Not lunging at people etc. In van, he's nuts.. So I"ve started putting him doggie seat belt. He still barks and tries to lunge everywhere. I know he's just doing his job, protecting us.. But I know I would bring him to a lot more places for drives if he didn't act like this.. My old dog didn't act like this, and I really enjoyed the, "lets go for a drive", to grocery store where ever..

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank-you for all your help.

how old is he? He's not being "protective" but telling everyone "stay out of my space and leave me alone"

Does he know "quiet"? Work on short drives, go to a quiet place and reward him when he isn't acting up when people are at a distance. Gradually get closer.
Does your trainer specialize in GSDs? How about your breeder? What lines is he - show, pet, working? American or German? Different lines can be more reactive to certain situations.

He could just be being territorial or it could be barrier frustration.
http://www.michiganpetfund.org/userfiles/file/Shelter Dogs.pdf deals with caged dogs, but same techniques can work.

http://functionalrewards.com/BAT-basics.pdf threshold work - building up a tolerance for a situation.

I'd suggest getting another trainer, one with a history of working with shepherds.
Another option would be to crate him in the car.

Again, though, he isn't doing his job protecting you. 99 times out of 100 dogs are actually responding out of fear - get them before they get me. How is he in the car otherwise? Is he calm or agitated? Does he pant and circle and whine?

He is 3.5 years old
Dog trainer does not work with only sheaperds. He works with many breeds.

He does not know quiet, at home. If he goes off barking at say my 70 yr old neighbor. I will warn him then crate him. They had strangers on their property last year, doing fence work. He gave a total different bark. I knew it wasen' t my neighbors he was barking at right away.. We live the country so this is his only veiw of people. Outside, he will not bark at neighbors. Doesn't even get curious with them, when their outside.

I got him off of something like craigs list. Web site. They were a couple with young kids, both parents on site. No papers or anything. My main concern when buying him was making sure that both parents weren't related..

He is excited in car rides, but a good excited. Because we are usually going to dog park etc. He will only whine, if we go down a dirt road, I believe cause we always walk him in the bush on trails down a dirt road we drive to.

I have brought him on car rides since we got him. In the crate at first, till he was potty trained. The always let him out. to stick head out window etc. Now I can't do that :(

I tried opening links "in a new tab" they wouldn't open for me. gonna try in same tab, or cutting and pasting links. After I send this on.

Will try to post a pic of him. Maybe this will help in telling what type of GSD he is..

Thank-you again for your help, I really appercaite it :)

I have a very different take on this than the other posters. It is nothing to write off as typical and is an issue. I do not think he is guarding you seeing how he does this behavior when people are neutral. Most dogs will remain neutral when people are neutral until they have a reason not to be. The reactivity is, in my opinion, coming from barrier frustration. This idea is supported by the fact that you see this behavior in the crate as well.

Barrier frustration is a very common issue and can be trained out. It stems from a dog getting anxious from being confined. Sometimes called "leash frustration" because it is often seen when a dog is on leash, but not only there. In a crate, in a car...the aggressive barking, lunging is there because the dog gets an outlet for the frustration of being confined. It is then often encouraged (accidently) when people react to it with startling or fear or walking away. It is a self rewarding behavior.

Last edited:
IMO this is typical behavior of breeds who have guardiness.

Get a crate. Secure it in the van. Put him in it for van trips. Problem solved.

First off, Thank-you for your reply

Yes I always thought this was typical of these breeds too, but today a grocery store. I sat and watch a GSD in a van, waiting for his family. He never barked or lunged at anyone passing by.. So I thought to myself, maybe I can train my dog to be like that. Yes I realize their all not the same, but am hoping with the right training he will enjoy a car ride, down main street with head out window. I watched for 20 min. waiting for familyto come out. Was gonna ask them how they did it.. Then I felt like a stalker!!

I don't mind securing him in a crate, if that is what it comes too. But I would love for him to enjoy a drive to say say daycare, and get to actually look out windows enjoying life.. For this breed, may be hard, or almost impossible.. But I know he would have a better quality of life, if I could take him anywhere :)

Yeah, Jamie, was hoping to get your attention on this :) I will google "Barrier frustratrion" to try to learn more about it.

How can I train it out?

Thank-you so much Jamie for your time on this!! I so want to be able to bring him everywhere with me!! Even if its just to the store for 5 min..

Should I run in off leash in bush for awhile, then when he's tired biring him to town?

I have a very different take on this than the other posters. It is nothing to write off as typical and is an issue. I do not think he is guarding you seeing how he does this behavior when people are neutral. Most dogs will remain neutral when people are neutral until they have a reason not to be. The reactivity is, in my opinion, coming from barrier frustration. This idea is supported by the fact that you see this behavior in the crate as well.

Barrier frustration is a very common issue and can be trained out. It stems from a dog getting anxious from being confined. Sometimes called "leash frustration" because it is often seen when a dog is on leash, but not only there. In a crate, in a car...the aggressive barking, lunging is there because the dog gets an outlet for the frustration of being confined. It is then often encouraged (accidently) when people react to it with startling or fear or walking away. It is a self rewarding behavior.

the first link I gave you talks about barrier frustration. You can also find a lot of info through google about training and dealing with it. :)

good luck!

All my dogs are aggressive acting in my vehicle, and sometimes when they are in crates elsewhere. They are also all very friendly and sociable when outside the crate or the vehicle.

I travel alone quite often, and I do not correct my dogs for this behavior except that they are to get quiet when I ask.

Like any behavior, you can have extremes, and often the extremes are not good. Often these are dogs of shallow or incorrect temperament, and may need behavior modification training.

For me and my dogs, this is not a problem behavior. For others, it might be.

Back
Top Bottom