Dog trick ideas

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey guys!

It's been pretty cold and icky here in upstate NY, which means fewer walks for my dog. Usually on cold days, we will do trick training instead. However, I'm having a difficult time thinking of new tricks to train my dog to keep her from getting bored. We mostly work with the clicker and she knows quite a few tricks already including:

Beg
    Stand
    Hide
    Spin
    Wave
    Paw and other paw
    Play dead
    Roll over
    Fetch
    Clean up toys
    Crawl
    Speak
    Shake head "no"
    We've also started working on nose work and I have her find hidden toys around the apartment

I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas for new tricks. I'd also like to hear how you trained them! Eventually I want my dog to be an at-home diabetic detection dog (I'm a type 1 diabetic) which is why we are doing nose work.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hello,
    All those tricks are great ,but really useless unless they " come" when called no matter how much they don't want to . Also " heal" by your side and " stay" until you release are "tricks " that could save their lives .

I own a boarding kennel and see way to many untrained owners [​IMG].

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    She knows those ones too, for the most part. I would like to work more on really long distance stays (She'll stay in the kitchen while I hide a toy in the bedroom, but I've seen some dogs do down-stays at obedience trials that are very impressive) Perhaps some day! We have also dabbled in agility, but I don't always have access to the equipment. I wouldn't mind joining a group once I graduate though.

Her "come" is not 100%, though vastly improved since I adopted her 2 1/2 years ago. She's part beagle and her nose gets the best of her. Generally, I keep her on a leash because even though she comes most of the time, I don't trust her in situations that could be life saving. She's very good with the electric collar (which I use only for boundary/yard training or when she chases an animal, not for obedience or other training) but I still get nervous with that.

She is very good with heel but I would like her to have more "butt swing" action to get in position. We work on this outside when the weather is nice. I use heel to keep her focused on me so she doesn't bark at passerby people or when I want her to come but don't want to use the command "come".

I guess for now we are looking for some new "party tricks". She gets a bit nervous around new people, so doing tricks is a great way to have her relax when company is over. She'll do anything for treats!

4. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    You sound like an amazing dog owner , she is lucky to have someone who is so hands on. Keep up the good work , an obedient dog is a joy to know .
    You could get her to " share" and give your friends a toy?

Have fun

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by