Dog up the road and the loss of a JG

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rachel Taylor, Oct 20, 2018.

1. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    I'm sorry for your loss and frustration.

I'm a little confused though ... which neighbor told you about the dog carrying your dead chicken?

Also who did your husband talk too? Idiot neighbors, or you about fence?

If the dog owners don't know about the chicken being killed, or it hanging around on your property, they needs to be notified ... wether by you, animal control, or the law (police/sherrif)

2. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Seems you're pretty desperate to get things back to how they were and seems there's only one option that won't be costly, lengthy or futile.
    Disappear the dog in whatever way you can live with.

3. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I personally could never hurt a dog but I have found good homes for dogs with owners that just don't care. It isn't the dogs fault. Killing it hurting the dog does nothing, because the people will just get another dog because they don't care.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Who's Goid Jones?

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Until this idiot neighbor shapes up, or moves, you have one quick fix, and that's electric fencing. It's pretty easy to set up, relatively inexpensive, and should encourage this dog to never return!
    I would consider the 'final solution' for this dog too, but they will get another one!
    Animal Control? The sheriff? They should be on your side in this!
    If you can safely catch this dog, take him to the shelter directly. Irresponsible pet owners need to pay, or not have pets!
    Mary

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Does Animal Control loan out live traps large enough for this dog? Ask!
    Mary

7. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Darn smart phone auto correct.. Good homes..lol

8. Backyard Bruce

Backyard Bruce Songster

Apr 11, 2018
    Sullivan County, N.Y.
    25 years ago I was that guy with the dog running around, we live on a similar area of 2 acres and dirt back road.
    My neighbor never came to me to tell me this was not good, he shouldn't have too. He called the animal control officer(every town has one) we, live in a town of 2000
    The animal control officer, of who I knew quite well, told me this was unacceptible. I took heed and never let him free again.
    I am very good friends with same neighbor, dog has long since passed( I do miss him)

Moral of the story? call the ACO.

9. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois

The people who used to live in my house bought the house down the road. Once they moved, they got a beautiful lab and registered it to my house. Why? I don't know why. After the 4th or 5th visit from the local police and fines mailed to my house I finally called and changed their address myself. The last visit I got was from the police because they picked the dog up in over 100 degree weather and he was dehydrated, so the police took him to the vet. These people have paid thousands in fines and still don't get it, some people never do. Now they also have a yorkie that runs around. Just saw that one a couple days ago.

10. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    You could try sending them a bill for your chicken. Of course it was a very expensive winning show chicken and a very sought after stud, right? So there's the loss of all those stud fees to count in.;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: