Dog vs bunny burrow

MamaGer8ty

Songster
May 11, 2020
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
Well, we found our dog chewing something and when we got him to spit it out, it was a baby bunny that he enjoyed partly. We found where he was digging and around it we found five more baby bunnies. Four have survived and we are taking them to a rehabilitation center in the morning. They are brand new babies, don’t even have their eyes open yet. We would have left them for their momma but our dog completely destroyed their home and with him being outside all the time, we thought it best to save them for someone who knows what to do. I just couldn’t let them die. They are so cute!
9E3DF1F6-6D55-4F1D-A7AF-AAADCDFA8600.jpeg

No, the mom wasn’t around anywhere that we can find. I saw her this morning running around and getting into my vegetables but sadly he was eating a baby. 😢
She is probably looking for her baby’s! The one she was eating may not have been heathy! So to protect her other bunnie baby’s she would get rid of the sick one!

We've had this problem too. Sometimes we catch our Border Collie chowing down on something he found in the field. Most often it's disgusting, like a dead animal, or cat or rabbit turds, but twice he was eating a nest of baby bunnies. I guess they're a delicacy, even though he leaves the adult rabbits alone and shows no interest in catching them. The first time we dragged him away in time to save most of them, the second time he ate them all before we could stop him.
Many year ago (with a different dog, a retriever type with a gentle mouth) she ran up to me, all proud and wagging, with some animal in her mouth. It was moving around, but barely struggling, so my first thought was, "Oh no, she caught a rat but it looks injured, now I'm going to have to finish it off." But on closer inspection, it was a tiny baby bunny that didn't look like it had any injury. My dog willingly gave me the bunny (lots of praise for that) and I took it to the area she had been sniffing and digging, and to my amazement, I found the nest with four other baby bunnies in it! I put this one back with the others and hoped for the best.
The next day I went to check, and the mother bunny had moved all of them.
I think rabbits are kind of like deer, in the sense that they will secure their babies in a nest and leave periodically to find food. Then when they come back, if they sense the nest has been disturbed, they will move all of them to a new nest. Since she'd moved them all, including the one we'd put back, gave me confidence that it hadn't been badly injured.

my dog caught two baby bunnies this morning and i dont know what to do!! we have held them a good bit to try and protect them, one had a bloody nose, and im afraid the mama wont take them back after we have held them and the dog slobbered on them....

my dog caught two baby bunnies this morning and i dont know what to do!! we have held them a good bit to try and protect them, one had a bloody nose, and im afraid the mama wont take them back after we have held them and the dog slobbered on them....
I think with bunnies you can touch them and as long as they are put back where their nest is, the momma will come back. Our dog had completely ruined their home and there was no way we could put them back

Back
Top Bottom